Disaster Response and Readiness - AmeriCorps
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CA Red Cross - AmeriCorps
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
CA - California
We are looking for a highly energized and service-minded individual to join the Red Cross AmeriCorps team in our San Jose and Oakland Chapters! This is a full-time national service role focused on providing community disaster education, supporting volunteers, and directly responding to local and national disasters (such as Hurricane Harvey / Irma).
Red Cross AmeriCorps members are creative, passionate, and dedicated individuals that serve in a full-time capacity for 10.5 months at American Red Cross chapters across the Northern CA Coastal Region, including Santa Cruz, San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland. If you are looking for a way to help others, get professional experience, and serve your community, then come join our AmeriCorps team!
The AmeriCorps role has a variety of focuses across the Disaster Cycle:
- Supporting the disaster readiness of the community (particularly under-served populations) through hands-on preparedness workshops and mobilization of volunteer presenters.
- Responding to local emergencies as an active member of the Red Cross's Disaster Action Team.
- Recruit, train, and deploys Red Cross volunteers for local and national disasters, such as Hurricane Harvey and Irma.
- Supporting the long-term recovery of individuals and families who have been affected by disasters such as house fires and other local emergencies.
In addition to main duties, all AmeriCorps members will also have opportunities to participate in special projects in other program areas of Disaster Cycle Services like Mass Care, Logistics and External Relations. Members will also be active participants in local Home Fire Preparedness Campaigns.
Desired Skill Sets:
- Commitment to service and making a difference
- Comfortable with public speaking and working around large crowds
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours, including nights and weekends
- Professional demeanor and positive attitude
- Independent, self-motivated, creative and resourceful individual who relates well to diverse people
- Flexible, adaptable and likes working with a team
- Good attention to detail, with ability to organize and follow through on multiple priorities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to navigate and administer volunteer database preferred
Qualifications / Criteria:
- At least 18 years of age (college graduate preferred)
- Be a US citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
- Possess a driver’s license and have a good driving record
- Bilingual - desired not required
- Extensive Red Cross and Volunteer Management training
- $5,815 Federal Education Award
- Bi-weekly living stipend (totaling $15,000 for term)
- Health and dental coverage
- Childcare assistance
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans) during the term of service
- Invaluable experience from a nationally and internationally-respected organization
More Information: www.redcross.org/local/california/los-angeles/volunteer/americorps
To Apply: To join the Red Cross AmeriCorps team, send your resume and cover letter to Lauren.Franklin(at)redcross.org
Positions will be filled through the end of October , so send in your application today!
How To Apply
To find out more about how you can make a difference in vulnerable communities with the CA Red Cross AmeriCorps teams, visit www.redcross.org/local/california/los-angeles/volunteer/americorps or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org