Board of Directors - Vice Chair
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by AALUSC (African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change)
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
AALUSC is a grassroots community based group run by and for Women of Color (WOC) whom identify under the rainbow of LGBTQI – NGC+.
AALUSC, formerly known as African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change was founded in 1974 as Salsa Soul Sisters, Third World Wimmin Inc. AALUSC is committed to the spiritual, cultural, educational, economic and social empowerment of African Ancestral Womyn. We are dedicated to making our voices heard in advocacy of womyn's rights.
The need for an organization like AALUSC in the Lesbian community in 1974 is not the same for our community in current times and therefore in keeping out doors open, AALUSC is undergoing a rebranding and restructuring. Part of this restructuring includes rebuilding our membership, our board and becoming more diverse in the members we serve and addressing their needs.
AALUSC is seeking a Vice Chair to serve on the AALUSC Board of Directors. Individuals must support and is dedicated to the empowerment, growth, needs and well-being of LGBT Women of Color
· Is a member of the Board
· Serves as the secondary volunteer leader of the organization
· Performs Chair responsibilities in the absence of Board Chair
· Works closely with the Chair to guide and directs the governance over Board and Committee activities, operations and policies
· Consults on appointments of chairpersons of committees
· Serves ex officio as a member of committees and attends their meetings when invited. Works with the Board to develop and carry out organization’s strategic plan for sustainability and growth
· Assist in the development of the board’s knowledge and capabilities by playing a central role in orientation of new board members, mentoring board members and committee chairs and providing continuing education for the entire board.
· Works with Board to the ensure the organization’s administrative systems are adequate, appropriate and falls in line with its mission and vision;
· Works with Board to the ensure the organization’s operations are adequate, appropriate and falls in line with its mission and vision
· Performs other duties as necessary or assigned by Board Chair
· Commitment to organization and its principles, mission, vision and goals
· Commit to a minimum of twelve (10) hours a month
· Participate in Board and Committee meetings and Organizational activities and events
· Assist in developing and organizing fundraising activities
· Utilize skills, talents and ideas to help carry out the mission and vision of AALUSC
· Provide perspective and input by sharing ideas, giving feedback and following through and providing updates on responsibility and tasks
· Strategic and Organizational Planning
· Strong leadership and collaborative skills
· Strong communication skills
· Decisiveness in order to tackle and resolve difficult issues and to keep the business of the board moving.
· Strong organizational and administrative skills.