Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
School Group is a platform that aims to connect schools from various parts of the world. Our goal is to provide an e-learning community that focuses on peer-to-peer learning. In doing so, we hope to promote collaboration, communication and to bridge the educational gap in a rapidly changing 21st century generation.
Our groundbreaking, exciting, nonprofit news organization is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join our growing team of skilled volunteers. The chosen candidate will be responsible for taking on a leadership role in financial decision-making that affects our company and will provide strategic financial input to senior management. While keenly overseeing the overall accounting process, the successful CFO will play a key role in developing and implementing financial procedures to improve and maintain the financial health of our organization and to support the vital work we do in the public interest.
To apply, send us your resume and a detailed cover letter that shows you have studied our brand and explains why you are qualified for this position.
- Assist in performing all tasks necessary to achieve the organization's mission and help execute staff succession and growth plans.
- Work with the CEO on the strategic vision including fostering and cultivating stakeholder relationships on city, state, national and international levels, as well as assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Participate in developing new business, specifically: assist the CEO and CMO/CTO etc in identifying new funding opportunities, the drafting of prospective programmatic budgets, and determining cost effectiveness of prospective service delivery.
- Assess the benefits of all prospective contracts and advise the Executive Team on programmatic design and implementation matters.
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may pass independent and governmental audits.
- Provide the CEO with an operating budget. Work with the CEO to ensure programmatic success through cost analysis support, and compliance with all contractual and programmatic requirements. This includes: 1) interpreting legislative and programmatic rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local and contractual guidelines, 2) ensuring that all government regulations and requirements are disseminated to appropriate personnel, and 3) monitoring compliance.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
- Oversee all purchasing and payroll activity for staff and participants.
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization and oversee federal awards and programs. Oversee the coordination and activities of independent auditors ensuring all audit issues are resolved.
- Attend Board and Subcommittee meetings; including being the lead staff on the Audit/Finance Committee.
- Monitor banking activities of the organization.
- Ensure adequate cash flow to meet the organization's needs.
- Investigate cost-effective benefit plans and other fringe benefits which the organization may offer employees and potential employees with the goal of attracting and retaining qualified individuals.
- Oversee the production of monthly reports including reconciliations with funders and pension plan requirements, as well as financial statements and cash flow projections for use by Executive management, as well as the Audit/Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and timely calculations of wage incentives, commissions, and salaries for the staff.
- Oversee Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable and ensure a disaster recovery plan is in place.
- Oversee business insurance plans and health care coverage analysis.
- Oversee the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets, including assets purchased with government funds (computers, etc.) assuring all are in accordance with federal regulations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Not-for-profit accounting in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, OMB Circulars A-133, A-110 and A-122, TANF program regulations and compliance requirements, and appropriate Code of Federal Regulations sections.
- Current trends, developments, and theories in job readiness training and adult education.
- Current trends and developments in welfare reform and the development of Welfare-to-Work programs under the DHHS TANF and other federal programs.
- Issues, concerns, and barriers of employees newly entering the workforce.
- Laws, regulations, and rules governing work requirements for TANF participants.
- Resources of public and private social service and related agencies.
- Organizational development, human resources, and program operations.
- General office software, particularly the Microsoft Office Suite and MIP software (or other similar not-for-profit general ledger software) and use of databases.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of a bachelor's degree at an accredited college or university or equivalent work experience.
- Completion of a master's degree at an accredited college or university or equivalent work experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- The Controller or Chief Financial Officer level.
- Five to seven years of financial experience and management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of an organization of at least 50 staff persons.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
This is a volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation. Our organization is 100% volunteer run. We welcome volunteers located anywhere in the world, as long as they can connect reliably to the Internet.
Why Volunteer With Us?
We are a community of people that share a common belief that improving education will eventually reduce poverty and improve the quality of life and living conditions globally. Volunteering with us will enable you to build your resume and gain invaluable experience in an environment of supportive people that are always willing to help you.
In return, you will receive a LinkedIn recommendation, testimonial, spotlight in a newsletter, and/or a professional reference based on commitment and performance.
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers