Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Africa, specific countries to be determined
875 Howard Street
Kiva (www.kiva.org) is a mission driven technology company. We run a global marketplace platform for crowd-funded micro-loans to serve the financially excluded. Kiva combines the culture and approach of an internet start-up with a mission to alleviate poverty. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.”
In just 12 years, Kiva has raised over $1 billion in loan capital for nearly 2 million borrowers in over 85 countries. Kiva’s lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Nairobi, Mexico City and Bangkok, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 500+ volunteers worldwide.
Kiva's Partnerships team works primarily with Microfinance Institutions (MFIs), non-profits, and social enterprises known as Field Partners who post borrower profiles from all over the world onto the Kiva website. The team is responsible for sourcing, conducting due diligence, monitoring and managing relationships with Field Partners. The team also trains new partners, and ensures that existing partners are compliant with Kiva policies and aligned with Kiva's social mission and strategic focus.
We are looking for passionate, dedicated, skilled volunteers to support the efforts of the Partnerships team by serving as Kiva's eyes and ears on the ground, working directly with the employees and clients of Kiva's Field Partners. Reporting to regional Portfolio Managers, Kiva Fellows contribute to the overall goals of the team and the organization through the execution of a customized workplan over the course of 6 months.
Kiva Fellows come from a wide variety of backgrounds and professional experiences. They are united by their desire to gain on-the-ground, hands-on experience in the microfinance sector while meaningfully contributing to Kiva's mission. The Kiva Fellowship is an unpaid volunteer position, but reimbursements for fellowship-related travel (up to $1,500 total) and monthly living expenses (~$400/month) are provided for the duration of the fellowship to help offset expenses.
All fellows must attend Kiva Fellows Training Week in San Francisco, CA, July 16 - 20, 2018. Fellows are expected to deploy to the field within two weeks following training and conclude their service in January 2019.
The Technical Assistance (TA) fellowship will support the Kiva Labs team in monitoring and reporting out on partner progress toward implementation of Kiva’s technical assistance projects and impact of those projects. Technical assistance (TA) projects focus on digitization of operations and loan product development.
- Monitoring & Evaluation: monitor progress towards outcomes and indicators as per partner’s TA M&E framework. This will include analysis of metrics and indicators which may be captured either through systems, interviews with relevant stakeholders or other relevant means.
- Case studies: draft succinct case studies for each TA project. Information will be collected through M&E, staff and borrower level interviews to understand both the impact in terms of gains for the institution and at the borrower level, and lessons learned.
- Reporting impact: support in drafting an overarching report on the impact and lessons learned from implementation of the TA projects. This information will be pulled from the various case studies, as well as information surrounding the pre-selection process.
- Coordination with TA providers/partners: where relevant, coordination with TA providers and partners. Responsible for following up with TA providers on partner satisfaction with TA as well as tracking timelines and monitoring implementation of deliverables.
Position #1: Africa, specific countries to be determined
Please note that these locations are subject to change based on the needs of Kiva's Field Partners and shifting priorities within each portfolio region. Further information about timing and sequencing of travel will be provided during the interview and offer process.
- 21 years of age by the start of Kiva Fellows Training Week
- Ability to travel to San Francisco for Kiva Fellows Training Week
- Available for full 6-month volunteer commitment
- Fluency in English
- Positive attitude and dedication to Kiva's mission
- Flexibility and adaptability in the face of rapidly shifting priorities and circumstances
- Comfortable traveling extensively when needed and living for an extended period of time in developing countries
- Ability to take initiative and work independently while maintaining ongoing communication with a remote manager
- Cultural sensitivity, which may include prior work or volunteer experience in a cross-cultural setting
- 2-4 years’ work experience
- Experience collecting and analyzing data
- Able to synthesize data into high-level findings
- Excellent writing skills with a focus on report writing including the ability to tailor communications to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to gather information from a variety of stakeholders
- Monitoring and Evaluation experience
- Comfortable learning new technologies
- Process-oriented thinker with an eye for efficiency
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in French
- Access to a well-connected network of 700+ former Kiva Fellows, plus the wider Kiva network of staff, interns, and partners
- A week of in-depth training at Kiva headquarters in San Francisco, plus ongoing professional development workshops and trainings
- On-the-ground exposure to the microfinance, crowdfunding, and social enterprise sectors
- Modest reimbursements to help offset international travel and monthly living expenses, plus travel insurance coverage.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please apply directly through our website here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/kivafellows/jobs/1084529#.WsVVa2inGEs