AmeriCorps Member with NC Literacy Corps - FULL TIME
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by SCALE- NC LiteracyCorps
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Want to make a difference in Asheville, Greensboro, High Point, the Triangle area, Goldsboro or Louisburg? Want to commit yourself to a year of serving others, helping people reach their educational goals, or teaching children to read? Would you like to do this while gaining valuable experience in a non-profit setting? Then the NC Literacy Corps is for you!
SCALE’s North Carolina LiteracyCorps is a statewide consortium of AmeriCorps members working to build the capacity, impact, and partnership of community and campus based literacy programs. Full-time members will provide direct service tutoring, recruit and train volunteers, and implement capacity-building plans based on locally-identified needs. Potential needs include volunteer recruitment and training, developing and enhancing community partnerships, assisting with scheduling and coordination tasks, and gathering data for local and project evaluation. LiteracyCorps members are neither employees nor volunteers; they are members of a National Service Program. SCALE will provide ongoing support for both members and community- and campus-based sites through ongoing training, site visits, resources, and conference calls. Full-time LiteracyCorps members will receive a living allowance of up to $13,732 for 1,700 hours of service and, upon satisfactory completion of service, an educational award of $ 5920.
- High school diploma or GED (or promise to obtain one before using the education award) and writing skills deemed adequate by the program director
- At least 17-years-old
- U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Legal Permanent Resident
- Strong commitment to community service
- Previous education and/or experience working with young children and/or adult learners preferred
- Proof of no previous conviction or substantiation of child abuse, violent, or sexual crimes
- Ability to work well with a diverse population of people
- Reliable transportation
- 11-12 month commitment to this position and completion of 1,700 hours of service by July 31, 2018.
- Members must adhere to a consistent service schedule and demonstrate reliability and seriousness of purpose
- Members must be able to read to young children and/or adult learners
- Members must complete paperwork on time
- Members must be able to communicate effectively with everyone involved in the project—community members, college staff and volunteers, NC LiteracyCorps Program Director, and service recipients
- Members must demonstrate an ability to understand and implement project service plans, program policies, regulations, objectives, and activities
- Enhance the quality and effectiveness of community- or campus-based literacy programs by serving as a tutoring program leader in a community organization for approximately 35-40 hours a week
- Implement a year-long capacity-building plan
- Participate in pre- and post-evaluations on learners to assess the quality of the NC LiteracyCorps Project
- Collaborate with other community sites to define needs in the community
- Assist with training of tutors or volunteers
- Perform other allowable program service duties as requested by local supervisor
- Attend all required NC LiteracyCorps trainings and meetings conducted by SCALE
- Attend all required AmeriCorps trainings and meetings conducted by the North Carolina Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service
- Participate in SCALE technical assistance activities, such as conference calls and site visits
- Receive certification in Adult and Child CPR and First Aid
- Assist in disaster preparedness activities as needed
- Participate in National Identity Days such as: 9/11 Day of Service, Make A Difference Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, National Volunteer Week, and AmeriCorps Week
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
There are 2 ways to apply!
- Head to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=80116 to create a MyAmeriCorps login and apply directly to the listing.
- Download and fill out the following form, http://nclc.web.unc.edu/files/2015/03/AmeriCorps-Application-FORM-2.pdf and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions or issues when applying, please contact Michaela Ashworth at 919-962-6675.