A few hours per week
3300 Beltagh Avenue
Volunteering at Bideawee is a selfless act of kindness that can make a life-altering difference in the lives of animals that desperately need love and compassion. Volunteering is a commitment and there are important responsibilities that you must be willing to undertake to become a member of the Bideawee volunteer family. We welcome new volunteers enthusiastically and look forward to seeing you at one of our facilities soon.
Bideawee's Wantagh location is currently accepting Animal Care volunteers who can log in at least 2 hours per week. The minimum age requirement is 18 years. At this time, we are only accepting volunteers that can commit to a weekly volunteer schedule.
- Cleaning - making sure all animals are in a clean comfortable environment at all times. This includes properly disinfecting, removal of fecal matter or any debris in the area they are housed in at all times. Make sure all areas are odor free.
- Socialization - Making sure all animals get proper social contact, as well as appropriate social experiences.
- General well-being - Responsible for noting and bringing to supervisor’s attention any time an animal exhibits signs of not feeling well.
- Exercise - Each animal gets the proper amount of exercise daily.
- General Housekeeping - Keeping work stations clean and neat at all times, this includes all areas in and around the stations as well as the AC and AH common areas.
- Laundry - Making sure the laundry is being done at all times and maintain general sterilization for disease control.
- Dishes – Making sure the dishes are clean at all times and maintain general sterilization for disease control.
- Provide Positive Reinforcement training tactics when working with animals.
- Cooperate with and listening to staff suggestions and helping staff with animal needs. Work together as a team to complete tasks toward the well-being of the animals.
- Conduct tours and walk-throughs for groups as required.
- Willingness to complete additional trainings in animal competencies to be able to work with a wider variety of our animals.
- Always working within your assigned Color Code; i.e. animal competency level.
- Willingness to complete additional volunteer training, such as ISO Team, PAWD Squad (adoptions), van driving, and more.
- Be at least 18 years old (volunteers in Westhampton can be 10+ with a parent)
- Commit to the same two-hour shift each week for at least six months
- Customer care focused with an approachable demeanor
- Familiarity with email
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Demonstrate oral and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to work in a team setting or as an individual
- Must have a comfort level working with/around cats and dogs and understand their needs
- Needs to be detail oriented and precise
- Is kind and compassionate
- Able to follow directions
- Needs to be able to keep a clean uncluttered environment
- Works quickly
- Works well with others and understands the team approach
- Must have the ability to make recommendations to effectively solve problems or issues, by using judgment that is in consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law.
- Refer friends and family for volunteer positions
- Share fundraisers with family and friends
- Be a liaison with the community
- Be available to sign up for our Mobile Adoption events, where volunteers promote adoptions and other Bideawee services at event settings. These events may or may not include helping with the transportation of animals to and from the venue.
- Be open to volunteering in other areas of Bideawee, such as our Front Desk areas, Call Center, Pet Memorial Park, etc.