Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Wilbur D May Arboretum
1595 North Sierra Street
Education Programs Coordinator, AmeriCorps Job Description
Job Brief: The mission of the Wilbur D. May Arboretum & Botanical Garden is education, conservation, research and to demonstrate how native and introduced plants survive in a high desert environment. To achieve our mission, we are hiring an Education Programs Coordinator, AmeriCorps position. This position is essential in our efforts to provide interpretive and environmental education programs to all visitors, including students of the Washoe County School District, to the Wilbur D. May Arboretum & Botanical Garden.
Responsibilities: The Education Programs Coordinator is responsible for coordinating, developing, and implementing all public and school programs at the May Arboretum.
- Maintain and improve existing public programs with an emphasis on Early Childhood Education.
- Develop and implement a public program for Wilbur’s Explorer Pack.
- Teach and lead public programs.
- Develop interpretive trainings for docents.
- Coordinate volunteers to help staff with public and school programs when necessary.
- Develop flyers for advertisement of programs.
- Record keeping.
- Update May Arboretum website content.
- Assist with planning and implementing the May Arboretum Arbor Day Celebration.
- Improve existing curriculum for Kindergarten – fifth grade.
- Develop in classroom visits to promote the arboretum, conservation, and horticulture careers and ethics.
- Teach, coordinate, and schedule field trips to the May Arboretum.
- Foster relationships with representatives of the Washoe County School District.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Education, or other related field.
- Certified Interpretive Guide with the National Association for Interpretation required, or related training preferred.
- Experience with k-12 curriculum, Next Generation Science Standards, and Common Core.
- Personal transportation with valid driver’s license and proof on insurance.
- Experience with early childhood education preferred.
- Ability to create and prepare educational and interpretive programs in a timely manner.
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationships with community partners and volunteers.
- Classroom experience or outdoor education experience highly recommended and preferred.
- Ability to work productively and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Ability to work with the general public (customer service skills).
- Computer skills with programs such as Word, Excel, Publisher, etc.
- Ability to work weekends.
- Complete training for Washoe County’s content management system in order to edit website.
In return for their service, AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance of $13,732/year, health benefits and childcare (for eligible members) during their service, and will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,920.00.
Please send cover letter and resume to Bill Carlos at email@example.com
For more information contact Bill Carlos at firstname.lastname@example.org or (775) 785-4153.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to Bill Carlos at email@example.com