Supporting the Vision, Purpose, Values and Commitments of SODEI including program delivery that is centered around children and youth in Cameroon.
SODEI is seeking a Communications Manager with responsibility for editorial, programmatic, and digital communications. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Manager will support the goal to increase recognition of the organization and its mandate by assisting with the development of high-quality materials, managing digital platforms, and collaborating on strategies to promote research, policy, and program activities.
Marketing Communications Strategy
- Assist with refining communications goals and strategies per the SODEI’s Strategic Plan 2020-25, and contribute to the implementation of comprehensive communications plans for advocacy, development and visibility of the charity.
- Apply messaging guidance that persuasively shapes how the charity presents its positions to the local and international partners, donors, lawmakers and other audiences.
- Implement IMC to ensure a consistent organizational image in all internal and external communications.
- Maintain a close liasion with charity's communications team, vendors and other partners.
Social Media and Website Management
- Responsible for maintenance and expansion of the charity's website, including writing new sections for GwCC, articles and blogs.
- Manage all of the charity's social media accounts and measure charity's social media presence, following, and overall traffic.
- Develop and post approved content that is accurate, relevant, and timely.
- Respond to followers’ messages and posts providing appropriate answers.
- Track and report on digital platform activity offering insights on trends and opportunities.
- Maintain and grow a library of communications assets, including photographs, videos, infographics, pdfs, etc.
- Support technical and security maintenance, coordinating troubleshooting
- Communicate with our email audience regularly and increase the number of subscribers.
- Create content for blogs, articles, op-eds, social media platforms, and other communication projects.
- Promote the charity and its events to improve community, media, and engagement.
- Co-ordinate with internal and external contributors in the writing of summaries, publications and articles from retreats, conferences and working groups.
- Co-ordinate with local media, including building alliances with reporters and bloggers, pitching stories, and coordinating interview requests.
- Assist with developing content for press releases, press advisories, statements, op-eds, and letters to the media, and prepare staff for media interviews.
Assist with the creation and dissemination of high-quality communications materials with responsibility for conceiving, writing, editing, and proofreading aligned with assigned deadlines:
- Publish newsletters, including a biweekly for staff and a monthly for external audience.
- Manage the review and development of communication research and policy reports.
- Develop and maintain issue and program fact sheets.
- Draft speeches and presentations, including supporting materials.
- Craft correspondence, press releases, and quotes for senior staff.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications
We are looking for the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- A self-starter who works independently and enjoys creating new initiatives
- Sincere commitment to collaborate with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Excellent writing, voicing and editorial skills, with some experience of editing content for digital publications and distribution
- Ability to take initiative, work with minimal guidance, and meet deadlines.
- Diplomatic with colleagues and a desire to work with peers across the organization and with individuals and partner organizations across the globe.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise careful judgment
- Knowledge of websites and social media, newsletters, and other digital communication channels (with sensitivity and an understanding of different audiences and subject matter)
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of and hands-on experience with traditional and digital media
- Interest in cause-related communications and/or corporate social responsibility
Experience (2-3 years)
- Degree in communications or related discipline
- Proficiency with or demonstrated ability to learn software suites including Microsoft Office, Adobe, web-based CRM and website platforms, and HTML.
Please note that this is a voluntary unpaid position. However, depending on funding available we may be able to contribute to cost of travel.
If the above opportunity is what you are looking for please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
Who We Are
Solidarity and Development Initiative (SODEI) is a registered non-for-fit organization whose mission is to inspire and engage children and young persons in Cameroon through innovative and creative methods of learning; and to create spaces and platforms to amplify young person’s voices and foster participation in youth and community development activities. Our work is carried through four core programs areas to include: Learn, Speak & Play (LESPLAY), Youth mentoring and leadership program, SODEI Book Club (Literacy Program) and the Girls Empowerment Program. SODEI was founded in 2018 in the wake of the conflict in the English-speaking regions of Cameroon and the devasting impact on the welfare and education of children and young persons within the region. SODEI currently operates programs in the Southwest region of Cameroon with a view to expand to other regions in the near future.