A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
60-11 69th Avenue, Ridgewood, NY 11385
60-11 69th Avenue
About this position
My Dog is My Home is seeking a Graphic Designer to join our 100% volunteer staff. The Graphic Designer will work on developing layouts and productive designs to communicate My Dog is My Home’s work in a way that inspires, informs, and captivates our audience in an aesthetically pleasing manner. The person to fill this position will use design tools such as Canva and Photoshop to structure templates for messaging for brand awareness. The volunteer’s duties will include creating flyers, logos, newsletters, and other promotional materials in collaboration with the Communications Manager.
This position is great for someone who has a passion for artistic creativity; loves engaging with people; and cares about animal welfare, social issues related to people, and the human-animal bond. The ideal candidate is someone who is interested in a long-term (at least one year) commitment with My Dog is My Home and can contribute 5-10 hours per week.
You are a highly motivated, creative individual with experience and a passion for connecting with people. You care about social issues related to people and animals. You have excellent visual and design skills and are able to express the organization’s views positively and creatively. You’re a passionate storyteller and you like to share messages that help promote the organizations and companies you believe in.
Location: New York City or Remote
Reports to: Communications Manager
Take on a wide array of projects based off your interests and abilities and MDIMH’s needs. Sample projects include -
- Illustrations for our website, reports, or promotional materials
- Explanatory infographics or videos on MDIMH’s services or the social issue that we are tackling
- Other visual content for our social media accounts, blog posts, emails, etc.
- Conceptualize and design images for various social media campaigns.
- Design of physical items, such as thank-you gifts or cards for donors.
- Ensure that all visual communication pieces are consistent with MDIMH’s brand identity.
- Support the creation of of new print and digital communications materials.
- Help develop brand guidelines.
- A shareable portfolio of your previous creative work (of any type)
- Ability to work with others and use existing brand guidelines to create on-brand materials
- A great sense of humor!
- Love of continuous learning
Preferred, but not necessary
- Experience or interest in animal welfare
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, or other design softwares
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please send your resume to Richard Encarnacion, HR and Volunteer Manager, with a statement of interest in the body of the email at email@example.com.
People of color, women, individuals who have experienced homelesness, formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ individuals, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.
Our Hiring Process & Timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews immediately. Your phone interview may be followed by an in-person one-hour interview.
- If you are invited for an interview, we will ask for examples of your work relevant to this position, e.g. a campaign you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start as soon as possible.
Equal Opportunity Statement: We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and that enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability. My Dog is My Home does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of these identities in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.