Use your professional skills to help refugees
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Utah Health & Human Rights
A few hours per month
Utah Health & Human Rights
225 S 200 E Ste 250
Salt Lake City
Think you have a professional skill that could help refugees living in Salt Lake City? We're open to your ideas.
At Utah Health and Human Rights, we serve clients with a wide variety of needs. In addition to coping with trauma, they're often trying to understand the ins and outs of how our country works, including aspects of day-to-day life you may be able to help with.
We're open to suggestions for professional volunteers. At the moment, these are the types who serve our clients:
- Interpreters: Our clients speak a variety of languages, and interpreters are needed to help out during appointments. Many of those we serve speak Arabic, Swahili and Kinyarwanda.
- Massage therapists: When clients need help managing pain, stress and anxiety, they can make appointments with volunteer massage therapists at our office.
- Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) and medical assistants: We have a biweekly psychiatry clinic, where these volunteers assist with check-ins.
- Pharmacists: These volunteers help our clients with medications and prescriptions.
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW): Though we have many LCSWs on staff, we could always use a few more to help with one-on-one and/or group therapy sessions.
- Dentists: Many of our clients are in need of pro-bono and discounted dental services. We're always looking for dentists willing to provide these at their offices.
- Yoga instructors: We're kicking off a fledgling yoga program, in which instructors mentor one of two clients at regular sessions. Each client's needs are different, and instructors should be ready to make recommendations tailored to those needs.
All professional volunteers must have the education and professional licensing required to fill these roles. In general, our volunteers are required to pass a background check, sign a confidentiality agreement, be at least 18 years old and attend an orientation/training session.
To begin the signup process for this opportunity, fill out an application here. After you fill out the application, our volunteer coordinator will contact you to schedule an in-person interview. Either before or after the interview, you're required to submit and pay for a $19 background check. If you'd like, you can get the background check done in advance here.
Wondering how else you can volunteer? Take a look at our full list of opportunities here.
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
If you'd like to volunteer with us, fill out an application here.