Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
- An 11 month commitment starting September 2018
- Tuesday - Saturday / 8:00AM –4:30 PM with occasional evenings/Sundays
- # Positions: 4
- Reports to: Construction Site Manager
- Location: Daly City, CA (and/or) San Francisco, CA
The volunteers, donors and homeowners who join with us at Greater San Francisco’s Habitat for Humanity share a belief: hard work and success go hand in hand. Every day, we do what Habitat does best around the globe. But we do it right here in a very Bay Area way, by coming up with inventive solutions to our area’s expensive real estate challenges. Because when we invest in our neighbor’s quest to become a homeowner, it benefits the whole community. This AmeriCorps Member will serve at a new build site on Geneva Ave., in Daly City. On this 6,000 sq. ft. corner lot, HGSF, with the help of four AmeriCorps Members and thousands of community volunteers, will build 6 new, Green Point Rated, townhomestyle condos.
Project timeline is Fall 2018 to Summer 2020, and the 2018-19 cohort of AmeriCorps will learn and work on construction tasks from rough frame to exterior enclosure, air sealing and insulation. Construction Crew Leaders will each train and lead at least 15 volunteers per week at this site in the construction of six new townhome-style condos, allowing Habitat Greater San Francisco to reach the goal of serving six families at this site. The Bay Area is one of the most expensive areas in the country and many families struggle to find adequate and affordable housing. Due to the hard work and dedication of Construction Crew Leaders, we will be able to offer housing solutions that are affordable and sustainable for low-income families, opportunities that are very limited in the Bay Area.
• Lead and train 10-20 volunteers per week on site in various construction related tasks, including the safe and proper use of hand tools and power tools.
o Enforce safety by modeling safe behavior, monitoring volunteers’ safety, leading two safety talks per day and taking corrective action when necessary
o Use volunteer management techniques to facilitate positive experiences for volunteers and partner families working on site
• Set up in the morning and roll-up at the end of the day
• Assist with hands on construction tasks such as demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
• Participate in construction meetings and trainings
• Help with materials management on site and at the affiliate warehouse and storage trailers
• On occasion, member may participate in larger community projects such as Building Blocks or community Pop Up events.
RECOMMENDED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• AmeriCorps members will need to transport themselves to the jobsites either by car, car pool or public transportation
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience desirable • Strong verbal communication skills
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Experience working as a member of a team
• Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps •Ability to complete the reporting and timesheet requirements of the AmeriCorps program in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner
• Basic construction knowledge is preferred
• Be comfortable speaking in front of groups of up to 100 people
• Work well independently and self-motivated
• Have a valid drivers’ license and be able to meet applicable insurance requirements, and experience driving large pick-up trucks a plus
• Customer service experience is a plus
• Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to three-stories (including roofs and scaffolding.)
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Construction Crew Leader – Your Last Name” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. The position is an 11 month commitment that begins in September 2018.