AmeriCorps Member at Worcester County Health Department
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by ShoreCorps - AmeriCorps
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1101 Camden Avenue
The Worcester County Health Department is seeking a half-time AmeriCorps Member!
- Provide technical assistance, health education, and promotional efforts to reduce teen pregnancy and STI’s. Responsible for implementing several community based initiatives designed to affect teen pregnancy through the promotion of abstinence and life skills.
- Assist with after school programs (Just for Girls and PREP) in Worcester County middle and high schools as well as community partner organizations
- Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Lesson planning, teaching healthy living skills (making good choices and decisions) health education, homework assistance, recreation, chaperoning field trips, etc.
- Participate and/or assist in other Prevention Unit activities and events in the community such as health fairs, just walk events, presentations, etc. Supervise volunteers; develop and implement recognition activities for volunteers such as special events, awards, gifts, etc.
- Maintain accurate records of volunteer participation.
- Evaluate progress made in achieving the program’s goals; repost on progress in statistical and narrative reports for SU ShoreCorps.
- Develop community partnerships to support the volunteer program.
- Serve as public ambassador
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- Have a strong interest in serving the community
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Able to provide copy of either high school diploma, GED, or college transcript
- Have reliable transportation
- Be available to attend the tuition-free, AmeriCorps class at Salisbury University bi-weekly during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Be available to serve for approximately 20 hours/week for half-time service for at least 48 weeks.
- Must successfully pass a comprehensive Criminal History Check, which includes FBI fingerprinting
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien
Benefits available to the AmeriCorps Member:
- Valuable experience
- Joining a fun team committed to help you learn and grow
- A bi-weekly stipend of $252.08
- Receipt of educational award to be used toward educational loans or future educational expenses upon completion of service year requirements in the amount of $2,960.50
- 6 tuition free credits at Salisbury University
- This position is offered through a partnership with ShoreCorps, the AmeriCorps program at Salisbury University. It is contingent upon federal funding and approval of the AmeriCorps office. For more information on AmeriCorps requirements, benefits and responsibilities, visit www.salisbury.edu/americorps
Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. An application can be downloaded from the ShoreCorps web site: www.salisbury.edu/americorps/Member-info.html
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please visit the web site for a copy of the member application!