Refugee Resettlement Caseworker Assistant
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Diocese of Olympia Refugee Resettlement Office
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
1610 S. King Street
Resettlement or social service assistants will assist case managers with the day to day activities at the office (such as making files, office organization and clean up), as well as directly impacting the lives of refugees that come through our resettlement program. These activities will include: apartment set-up, gathering household supplies, applying for social services, school enrollment, organizing community drives and outreaches, organizing resettlement materials and more. Volunteers are needed Monday – Friday, between 10am to 5pm. 3-month minimum commitment, 2 to 12 hours per week.
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities, ethnicities, organizational systems,
- and have English language skill levels.
- Ability to be responsible with routines: arrive on time, come every day, call in sick
- only when absolutely essential, etc.
- Computer literacy – use of Microsoft Platforms (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.),
- internet research, send emails etc.
- Ability to stay focused on the task at hand but also be flexible.
- Plenty of energy and patience with donors as well as operational systems.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Be available at least two hours a week for a three month period.
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Experience with other cultures and/or languages
- Possess and maintain a current driver’s license.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to do physical work – cleaning and moving furniture.
All volunteers will receive generalized office and client training as well as specialized training within their area of participation. Supervision will be given by both the volunteer manager as well as the program’s direct contact.
The Refugee Resettlement Office is a small non-profit agency located near the intersection of Rainier and Jackson in Seattle, just east of the International district. It is our mission to help refugees and asylees become self-sufficient in their new environment. The majority of our clients are from Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Bhutan, Burman, Iraq, and Afghanistan. We operate under several state contracts to work with adult clients who are on welfare, retired, disabled, or between jobs.
We are a small office with a very collegial environment, a relaxed workplace, and a typically casual dress code. We laugh a lot, are helpful and courteous to one another, and everyone pitches in to make sure that all of our various programs are a success. Volunteers will be covered by the organization’s liability insurance during their time with us.
The Refugee Resettlement Caseworker Assistant is an unpaid volunteer position. We are happy to work with institutions that provide education or other credit and are willing to give recommendations for volunteers when they are warranted. Volunteers may be able to take some personal tax deductions through their work with us. Transportation on public transportation during the work day will be covered by RRO can be provided to volunteers.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
After filling out the Volunteer Application (also found on our website) please email a copy of the application, your references and your resume to our Development & Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
After reviewing your application, we will set up a short phone interview and conduct a background check. You will then be invited to participate in volunteer orientation where you will receive further training, set your work schedule and get oriented to the office.