AmeriCorps VISTA Position - Development & Communications VISTA
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
2000 M Street, N.W.
Join the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty in our mission to use the power of the law to end and prevent homelessness, and be a part of our work to protect the civil and human rights of people experiencing homelessness: from the right to perform life-sustaining actions such as sleeping without harassment or criminalization, to the educational rights of children and youth experiencing homelessness to attend and participate in school. The Law Center facilitates the Housing Not Handcuffs campaign, and coordinates with stakeholders in communities across the country in a comprehensive movement to end the criminalization of homelessness and turn communities toward constructive solutions. Three AmeriCorps VISTA members will play central and vital roles in the campaign and the Law Center’s work by performing activities including outreach and network development, database management and data analysis, and supporting development & communications activities to build organizational capacity to extend beyond the three-year project.
Your position will develop and promote communications messaging to support the campaign, build organizational capacity through the development and expansion of diversified revenue streams, and work with the Network VISTA and Database VISTA to facilitate information sharing among different departments within the Law Center, and external groups, to bolster campaign efforts and increase methods of collaboration.
This position is a full-time commitment and will last until December 2, 2019. This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position, hosted at the Law Center. Candidates must be available to start by December 3, 2018.
The Law Center is centrally located in downtown Washington, DC, easily accessible by public transportation. There will be many opportunities to network and to learn a great deal during your time with us.
Create a continuation plan for development activities, expanding the long-term capacity of the Law Center.
· Support development and expansion of diversified revenue streams by researching potential funders, developing donor profiles, and submitting proposals to potential funders.
· Design and implement template plans and calendars for planning and execution of events related to development activities, for ongoing organizational use.
· Create and refine development materials for ongoing use.
· Document development processes and procedures and provide training to staff on ongoing tasks.
Develop expansion and continuation plan for Campaign communications.
· Support communications activities, including campaign communications, public relations, social media, and media outreach.
· Develop a public relations plan that includes media contacts in key geographic regions. Secure media partners in those locations, cultivate those relationships, and write press releases and op-eds to strengthen media partnerships.
· Create and refine communications materials for ongoing use.
· Develop templates for newsletters, blog posts, infographics, videos, and other multimedia needs, or ongoing organizational use.
· Maintain and improve organizational websites, and research potential opportunities for expansion of web presence. Document findings for future staff use.
· Develop a web communications manual, and train staff.
· Commitment to social justice and anti-poverty issues; desire to protect the civil and human rights of people experiencing homelessness, to end the criminalization of homelessness, and to support the human right to housing.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
· Excellent writing (including proper spelling and syntax) and communications skills.
· Familiarity with social media tools, preferably in a professional environment.
· Familiarity with basic HTML and some graphics tools.
· Very strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Problem-solving ability, creative thinking, and ability to recognize opportunities to strengthen partnerships and systems.
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
· Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships and communicate effectively and professionally with diverse populations.
· Experience working on issues related to homelessness is a plus; experience with grassroots organizing, advocacy, campaign management, or movement-building strategies is a plus.
AmeriCorps VISTA provides a modest living stipend, as well as an education award or a post-service stipend upon completion of service. There are numerous other benefits associated with AmeriCorps, including travel stipends, child care benefits, limited health coverage, and special hiring status for federal employment after the completion of the service year. The VISTA volunteer will also receive a free fitness center membership through the Law Center. Read more about AmeriCorps VISTA service benefits at http://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Heidi Sahmel at HR@nlchp.org as soon as possible. Applications will be received on a rolling basis. In the subject line of your email, please note that you are applying for the "Development & Communications VISTA" position. No phone calls, please. Online application through the AmeriCorps VISTA site will be required if you are selected for an interview.
The Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons of color, LGBT persons, persons with disabilities, and persons who have experienced homelessness are especially encouraged to apply.