Volunteer Civics Teacher
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans (CIANA)
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans
31-09 Newtown Avenue
You are a charismatic teacher or tutor of civics, government, or US history with a passion for teaching immigrant students. You want to work closely with a small group of students to help them reach their reading, writing, and speaking goals. Sound like you? Good!
CIANA is looking for a volunteer civics instructor to teach once or twice per week. Our classes are typically composed of 10-20 students whose English proficiency ranges from beginner to intermediate who are studying to take their US citizenship exam. You must be comfortable managing a diverse group of students and facilitating fun and interactive activities.
The Center for the Integration & Advancement of New Americans (CIANA) is a social services organization that works to integrate new immigrants from South Asia, the Middle East, North Africa, and Latin America into the socio-economic and civic life of American society while maintaining pride in their cultural heritage.
- Write and deliver civics lessons to prepare students for naturalization interview based on a curriculum
- Facilitate lessons in a fun and accessible way while enhancing their English reading, writing, speaking, and listening
- Collaborate with other civics teachers on lesson development and execution
- Assist in tracking student needs and progress
- Consistent availability on Monday and/or Wednesday from 10:00am to 12:00pm
- Charismatic, dynamic, and interactive instruction methods
- Motivated to help students achieve their goals
- Competent in and respectful of cultural differences
- Retirees are welcome
- Interest in civics, government, or US history
- Passionate about advancing immigrant rights
- Fluency or bilingualism in another language (especially Arabic, Spanish, and Bengali)
Hours: 2-4 hours per week; not flexible
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or find out more about us on our social media or website and let’s chat: @cianainc or www.cianainc.org
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.