A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
PO Box 888
Hawaii International HOPE Foundation (HIHF) is comprised of a relatively small group of people from the U.S., Europe, Canada, and Asia. We are not connected in any way with any government or religious organization. We think of ourselves as a people to people organization. HIHF is a U.S. 501(c)3 organization.
Our mission is to support locally-driven community development efforts in Southeast Asia. We believe that on-the-ground organizations have the knowledge necessary to create positive change in the communities they live and work in, and that building relationships with these organizations is a key component to holistic, sustainable development.
Objectives: Establishing an organization which will:
- Provide holistic, community-driven support to small organizations, including but not limited to education, community development, health, and basic necessities
- Serve as a model for like-minded individuals and organizations, domestic and international
- Assist existing organizations in researching the scope and nature of the problem
We provide financial support to organizations that have a strong community approach to development but have fewer resources to truly be effective. While our primary support is in small grants, we seek to foster deeper, more long-term relationships than the average funder-grantee, through additional partnership opportunities year-round, sharing of information and expertise, and active participation in each other’s efforts to create positive change.
About the Position
HIHF is seeking new board members as it embarks on a new organizational direction. This is a voluntary, unpaid position with the following responsibilities:
· Promote the mission, goals, and objectives of HIHF
· Contribute opinions and decisions as requested by the Executive Director (1-2 hours per month, usually through e-mail communication)
· Participate in the decision-making process for grantee organizations (beginning of June)
· If located or visiting Southeast Asia, conduct site visits to grantee organizations (as available—visits are conducted on the board member’s own time and expense)
· Make an annual board pledge of funds. This pledge can be raised through any combination of personal giving, fundraising within networks (e.g. small fundraising event in your hometown, crowdfunding campaign, etc.), or in-kind donations
HIHF seeks board members with the following traits:
· Good heart with a genuine desire to make change in Southeast Asia
· Some experience with fundraising
· Experience in Southeast Asia preferred
· Experience with nonprofits and/or international development preferred
If interested, please send an email to Executive Director Genni Low at email@example.com with your CV/resume and a brief description about yourself, your experiences, and why you are interested in becoming an HIHF board member.