Organic farming and environmental conservation program in Kenya
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CADIP
The volunteers will work together with a local self help group in Mumias, Kakamega County. The group seeks to provide room for better health education for the local community with the goal of enhancing the health of the community through nutrition and environmental conservation. They do this through production of organic food in order to reduce malnutrition cases among children from disadvantaged backgrounds. Through the production of organic food, the group members are able to improve their farming techniques, which in turn promotes the income generating activities of the community at large thus boosting food security and discouraging deforestation. The group members are also engaged in environmental conservation, as they plant trees and use the organic fertilizer in farming.
• Farm work which includes horticultural farming, weeding, planting in tree nurseries, clearing of bushes and digging
• Making of bricks which will be used to construct a storage room for farm products
• Making organic fertilizer and biochar which is porous charcoal used in agriculture to help the soil retain its nutrients and water
• Participation in exchange programs in schools: teaching students how to make compost
• Kiswahili lessons and debate lessons in local schools
Project dates: November 4 - November 23, 2018
Find out more about this and other volunteer opportunities in Kenya at: http://cadip.org/volunteer-in-kenya
How To Apply
CLICK HERE to sign up and learn more!