Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1144 Lake Street
Volunteers assist in the After-School Academy for Hephzibah Group Homes residents. These volunteer tutors read, help with homework and engage the children in creative play. The main goal is to help the children complete their homework, but also provide a place where learning and reading are shared and enjoyed. The low child-to-tutor ratio (2:1) ensures that each child receives individualized assistance. Children improve academically, grow in confidence, and experience positive interaction with adults.
· Must complete volunteer process (application, interview and orientation).
· Check ins with Volunteer Manager every other month
· Training will be provided by Volunteer Manager and/or Homework Helper program coordinator
· Love of learning, experience with tutoring or education
· Experience working with children
· Reliability, caring and desire to make a difference
· Flexible to adapt to the children’s special needs
Location: Hephzibah Children’s Association, 946 North Blvd in Oak Park
Time Frame: Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays from 2:45-4pm and Wednesday from 2:15-4pm. Although Homework Helpers are not required to stay for the entire time period, we ask that you spend at least one hour per session with the children. Must commit to at least three months.
Supervision: Homework Helper program coordinator
- Training Provided