Community Organizing Volunteers
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by AALUSC (African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change)
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Various Locations throughout NYC
AALUSC is a grassroots community based group run by and for Women of Color (WOC) whom identify under the rainbow of LGBTQI – NGC+.
AALUSC, formerly known as African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change was founded in 1974 as Salsa Soul Sisters, Third World Wimmin Inc. AALUSC is committed to the spiritual, cultural, educational, economic and social empowerment of African Ancestral Womyn. We are dedicated to making our voices heard in advocacy of womyn's rights.
The need for an organization like AALUSC in the Lesbian community in 1974 is not the same for our community in current times and therefore in keeping out doors open, AALUSC is undergoing a rebranding and restructuring. Part of this restructuring includes rebuilding our membership, our board and becoming more diverse in the members we serve and addressing their needs.
AALUSC is pleased to invite applications to join our team as a Community Organizing Volunteers. We are seeking outgoing, action-oriented individuals to play a significant role in our organizing work with the Lesbian Women of Color and LGBT communities. This is a part-time, volunteer position
Since our beginnings, we have always been part of various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including the civil rights movement, LGBT rights and policies, civic participation, and targeted social services.
Community Organizing Volunteers would work with the Social Activism//Community Organizing Chair and other committee members to grow an informed, active base of community members who are fully engaged in campaigns advancing social justice the rights and needs of the Black Lesbian Community and the greater LGBT community at the federal, state and local levels.
Community Organizing Volunteers responsibilities would include, though not be limited to:
- Lead and or participate in regular member meetings, workshops, and other community-building and educational programs, gatherings and activities
- Assist in the development and execution of community organizing and grassroots campaigns that address the identified needs of the black lesbian community
- Cultivate the growth of community members into community leaders and advocates who will engage civil and human rights issues important to the community
- Support AALUSC in partnerships, coalition activities, advocacy efforts and other external relationships
- Help with media activities that raise awareness through mainstream and ethnic press
· Commitment to organization and its principles, mission, vision and goals
· Commit to a minimum of twelve (10) hours a month
· Participate in Committee meetings and Organizational activities and events
· Utilize skills, talents and ideas to help carry out the mission and vision of AALUSC
· Provide perspective and input by sharing ideas, giving feedback and following through and providing updates on responsibility and tasks
- Interest and/or experience in working on progressive social justice issues
- Ability to work well both independently and on a team
· Strategic and organizational planning
· Strong leadership and collaborative skills
· Decisiveness in order to tackle and resolve difficult issues and to keep the business of the board moving.
· Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal) and openness to public speaking
- Flexibility in working evenings and weekends
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available