A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
PO Box 100923
Do you have a passion to volunteer within your local community and help individuals recover from disordered eating? Rock Recovery is seeking Group Therapy Assistants (GTA) to assist with weekly meal support and therapy groups for a group of 8 - 10 men and women working to overcome eating disorders (including anorexia, bulimia, compulsive eating, and food/exercise addiction). This GTA position is critical in ensuring a healthy environment for our clients and supporting them throughout their time in Rock Recovery's program. These sessions are held either on Sunday evenings between 5:00 - 8:00 PM in the Arlington Courthouse metro area OR in Washington, DC in the McPherson Square area from 6:15 - 9:15 PM.
Approximately one Sunday and/or Thursday a month, the GTA will assist a therapist in leading a meal support and therapy group. The GTA will be responsible for:
- Providing meal support during a therapuetic group meal (monitoring client anxiety, supporting clients in setting and reaching mealtime goals, serving as an example of healthy eating, etc.) - De-escalating clients in crisis during group - Assisting the therapist with group facilitation - Writing clinical notes and performing other administrative duties
These sessions are held either on Sunday evenings between 5:00 - 8:00PM in the Arlington Courthouse metro area OR in Washington, DC in the McPherson Square area from 6:15 - 9:15 PM.
Between weekly meetings, the volunteer will be responsible for reviewing and updating client notes, contacting potential attendees, making suggestions for improvement, attending monthly treatment team meetings, and staying abreast of general treatment team communication.
- Bachelor's degree (preferably pursuing an advanced degree in psychology, nutrition or related field)
- Strong facilitation and communication skills
- Interest in working with individuals suffering from disordered eating and willingness to receive necessary training
- Ability to support Rock Recovery's faith-based perspective
- Effective oral and written communication
- Ability to establish safety and trust
How To Apply
Before you apply: Please read job descriptions carefully and follow application instructions. Note that we are an all-service organization. We offer only volunteer positions. While you do not need to be a Christian to work with us, we do ask that all staff are comfortable with supporting us as a faith-based (Christian) organization.