Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Bancroft Elementary School
1755 Newton St NW
Asian American LEAD Youth Leadership Empowerment and Development (AALEAD) is a youth development organization. Our mission is to support low-income and underserved Asian Pacific American youth with educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership opportunities through after school, summer, and mentoring programs. For more information, please visit our web site at www.aalead.org.
AALEAD’s DC Elementary School Program primarily serves low-income and underserved Asian Pacific American and immigrant elementary school youth in kindergarten through 5th grades. These programs provide educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership development opportunities to our youth.
The program operates on site at Bancroft Elementary schools Monday through Friday from 3:30pm – 6:00pm ending June 14, 2019.
Elementary School Program Aides report to the DC Elementary School Program Coordinator (Saadia Ahmad) and their individual classroom teachers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in managing classroom behavior
- Provide homework help to youth individually or in groups
- Read with youth individually or in groups to help develop literacy skills
- Assist teacher with sport, STEM, recreational, art, and other enrichment activities
- Build relationships with youth and be a positive role model
- Carry out specific tasks, as directed by the teacher, such as setting up materials for activities, classroom cleanup, or individually assisting a youth
- Two to ten hours weekly served Monday through Friday during program hours for at least three months
- Please notify AALEAD in advance when you are not available to volunteer
- Volunteers must be at least 14 years old
- Volunteers over 18 years old must complete the DCPS volunteer clearance including fingerprinting and TB test
- Adhere to DCPS volunteer policies
- Flexible scheduling
- Have fun and be connected to the community
- Invitation to occasional volunteer appreciation events or activities
- Earn community service hours for school
How To Apply
- Contact Vi Bui at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-329-6256 for more information
- Complete AALEAD Volunteer Application
- Schedule a brief interview so we can get to know your interests and strengths
- Attend an AALEAD Volunteer Orientation and Training