Economic Development and Microfinance Volunteering
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by SKIP - Supporting Kids in Peru
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Calle Mayta Capac 1325
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
The Economic Development Programme at SKIP works with families living in poverty to offer financial opportunities to stabalise their income and improve living conditions. We are looking for volunteers who can commit to a minimum of a month. We are happy to facilitate student placements for course credit and have worked with a number of Universites, Including Penn State and Northeastern.
Since 2003, SKIP has been working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. We are a registered NGO in the US, UK and Peru.
Our holistic programme focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
SKIP is currently seeking volunteers to join its Economic Development Programme (EcoDev).
The Economic Development Programme
Economic Development (EcoDev) helps SKIP families create sustainable sources of income and provides them with opportunities to develop their artisanal and business skills to pursue their goals. Its current project portfolio includes:
- micro-credit programme - this issues small loans and business consulting to current or potential business owners
- construction programme - small loans to improve the living situations of families
- artisanal workshops, including jewelry-making, sewing, and weaving
- business education workshops, one-on-one consulting
- health-related loan programmes
Under supervision of the EcoDev Coordinator, you will be responsible for a specific project within the department. However, because of the modest size of our team, volunteers contribute to aspects of all the projects within EcoDev.
Additionally, volunteers will assist in the children's programme at SKIP once a week by volunteering a morning/afternoon to work at the school as we feel this helps give additional perspective on the community.
While we ultimately desire our EcoDev Volunteers to speak some level of Spanish, we currently offer a limited amount of spaces for those who do not speak Spanish. However, priority will be given to those who are able to stay longer and are committed to improving their language abilities.
- Independently research, organise and manage an EcoDev project that will improve the living conditions of families in El Porvenir. In some cases, the project will need to be continued from a past volunteer rather than independently researched and organised
- Participate in the microcredit loans programme through office hours and visit houses in the community of El Porvenir
- Manage a development portfolio of families/borrowers and be open to understanding their situation and providing solutions
- Report to the EcoDev coordinator on a regular and consistent basis
- Relevant work or study experience
- Commitment of one month at minimum
- Ability to pass on competences and knowledge, but also to listen to suggestions
- Approachable and friendly demeanor to deal with parents
- Ability to work as a team, but also to take initiatives and work in an independent manner
- Be ready to exercise patience and show flexibility in living modestly and working with limited resources
- Willingness to help with other projects within the EcoDev department when necessary
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours including some weekends
- Minimum four week commitment
- Minimum intermediate level of Spanish
- Experience in economic development, in particular with small businesses
- Experience living or working in South America
The benefits of volunteering with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- a thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can read bios for all our permanent team on the website
- mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmation of volunteer service
Watch our video
If you would like to know more about our project, check out our videos
You can also read our annual reports
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers