Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The Immigrant Story is a volunteer led non-profit organization based in Portland, OR. We chronicle stories of immigrants to document and archive our voices in a short human-interest story format. Our vision is to provide curated, customized and relevant content to enhance empathy and create an inclusive community. In other words, we want to tell stories to make a change.
We are seeking experienced and digitally savvy Content Editors in charge of editing articles written by our authors to produce our contributed web content. Content Editors will play a key role to oversee content quality and ensure that the frame, structure and voice adhere to the established journalistic standards of The Immigrant Story.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Copyedits, proofreads and fact-checks materials for clarity, grammar, accuracy, consistency, style and tone
- Ensures consistent expression, tone, and voice for The Immigrant Story
- High comfort level with negotiating or drafting changes with inhouse writers
- Verifies statistics and facts against internal and external sources
- Recommends copyedits based on target audience and internal and external style guides
- Copyedits and abridges content to fit sizing requirements as necessary
- Monitors existing copyediting resources, including, the style guide and ensures it is current, relevant and adhered to
Qualifications and Skills:
- BA/BS in Journalism, Communications or related area or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of journalism, creative writing, communications or content creation experience
- Significant experience editing pieces for publication, working with a variety of authors
- Established track record of journalistic excellence
- Ability to edit nuanced stories for a general audience
- Highly detail-oriented and intensely focused on elevating the quality of content and producing accurate and logical final copy
- Advanced knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office, Google Docs and Sheets.
- Passionate about immigrant and refugee causes
Job Type: Volunteer, estimate ~5 hrs per week
- Training Provided