Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
off Hiawa-Bawdie Highway
Communications & Storytelling Fellow
Who We Are
Cocoa360 (local entity: Tarkwa Breman Community Alliance) is a 501c3 non-profit with a mission of developing and sustaining robust health systems for cocoa-growing communities in rural Ghana. The NGO is based in Tarkwa Breman, a cocoa farming village located in the Prestea-Huni Valley District in the Western Region of Ghana.
At Cocoa360, we believe that education fundamentally shapes a child’s lifelong health and impacts their ability to make sound health decisions. We therefore go beyond medical treatment – focusing on education for the most vulnerable target of risky health behaviors and infections – young girls.
Our “Health Equity Campus” – a tuition-free girls’ school and community clinic situated amid our 40-acre cocoa plantation, combines prevention programs and treatment measures to form an innovative approach to health equity.
The Communications & Storytelling Fellow will work closely with the Cocoa360 leadership team CEO, the Director of Operations and the Finance Director to develop communication strategies and expand our online and media-related activities. This position involves working as an integral part of a fast-paced, passionate team in Ghana. The candidate will report to the Director of Operations and will work closely with the entire team including staff at the community clinic, school and cocoa farm.
The Communications & Storytelling Fellow will identify strategies to inform new and existing audiences about Cocoa360’s work, and translate that influence into fundraising and other partnership opportunities. Graphic design skills and experience (fluency in Adobe Creative Cloud suite preferred); experience with infographics a plus. This opportunity is perfect for a highly motivated recent college graduate or young professional looking to gain experience in the nonprofit sector and conduct real, meaningful work in the communications field. Cocoa360 is at an exciting inflection point and, there is room for growth within the organization, dependent upon performance.
Role and Responsibilities
· Conduct field visits and interviews to produce visual and text material to support Cocoa360’s online and print media presence
· Curate, edit, and manage our blog
· Maintain the online social media presence (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter)
· Develop strategies for growing our social media presence and translate that presence into funding
· Producing materials (photos, updates and videos) to thank our supporters – including creating of newsletters and quarterly and annual reports.
· Assist in the grant process with research, writing and editing
· Oversee Cocoa360’s website (www.cocoa360.org), to encourage online engagement with all key stakeholders. Develop and regularly upload new content onto Cocoa360's website; creating new webpages, editing and archiving old content where necessary.
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
How to apply: Send your resume, cover letter and a short writing sample to email@example.com with subject line: “Communications Intern”
Dates: Early 2018; as soon as possible preferred.
Benefits and Perks:
· Stipend to support the partial cost of a round-trip ticket to Ghana
· Stipend to support the partial cost of meals every month.
· Free accommodation for one year.
· Language and culture support will be provided
Location: Tarkwa-Breman, Ghana
Please contact Cocoa360 with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org