Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1527 West Morse Avenue
This project engages volunteers, in partnership with young people, in the creation of a safe, welcoming community greenspace for youth in the Rogers Park neighborhood. The Peace Park initiative is carried out through the New Era Project Peace Angels, the social justice arm of the HACC Youth Development Program. A youth directed leadership group, Peace Angels seek to change the social challenges that effect youth in our community. Earth Force at A Just Harvest is providing technical assistance and expertise for the garden.
Time Commitment: 2.0-6.0 hours a week until project is completed, as weather and seasons permit.
· Digging, planting, tilling, and weeding of beds and borders
· Building simple DIY furniture for the park
· Checking the health of the soil and maintaining the health of the lot
· Raising plants from seeds or cuttings
· Planting shrubbery
· If applicable, help to paint murals in the park
· Specific training will be provided by urban landscapers in basic planting, pruning, and maintenance skills for an urban garden, as well as community-building skills.
● Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures
● Willingness to perform a range of grounds maintenance tasks
● Commitment to fostering a cooperative working environment
In addition to the above qualifications, the project is also seeking volunteers with any of the following specialized skills sets:
· Stone masonry – for laying slabs of stone tiles for disabled accessibility
· Carpentry – for building plant beds and DIY furniture
· Muralist – to guide the creation of a wall mural on the side of the building; professional experience using spray paint preferred
- Training Provided