Medical/health volunteers wanted for rural Malawi, East Africa
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by H.E.L.P. Malawi
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
H.E.L.P. Malawi seeks medical and health volunteers to assist at our rural government Nandumbo Health Center year-round. Doctors, nurses and current students in the health/medical field are welcome anytime throughout the year for a minimum of two weeks. The program is flexible and is catered to each individual's qualifications and desires. A proposal for desired project/ training will be required to ensure the most impact on the clinic, community and individual volunteer’s desires. Approval must be made H.E.L.P. Malawi management prior to the volunteers’ arrival. Once in Malawi, the volunteer will work alongside H.E.L.P. Malawi’s International Volunteer Coordinator and clinic staff to develop a work plan and establish their duties.
Volunteers can volunteer at the clinic up to five days a week, usually from 7.30am to 12.30pm or as other specified by H.E.L.P. Malawi and Nandumbo Staff. Depending on the demands of the day, some afternoon work is available.
Volunteers will be bicycling to the health center; a distance of about 5km on a flat, dirt road, so suitable fitness is required.
About the Health Center
Covering a catchment area of around 27,000 people, Nandumbo Health Center provides the following services for the rural community
- Outpatients clinic
- Wound care
- Maternity services
- HIV/ART treatment
- Antenatal services
- Family planning services
- Youth Friendly Health services
- Growth monitoring
International Volunteer Program offerings:
- Experience of life in a rural community in Africa and life-changing cross-cultural experiences!
- NO FEE for joining us - you just fund your own trip and international travel insurance (required)
- Long and short-term volunteer placements, catered toward your needs and availability
- Opportunities for secondary and special interest programs/projects
- Housing provided (max 4 volunteers) with running water and solar electricity
- Airport pick-up and full orientation included in addition to on-site support
- Successful applicants must have excellent communication skill, at least two years of college education, previous teaching or relevant volunteer experience and a great sense of humor and self-motivation!
- Must be at least 18 yrs old
- Cross-cultural experience; working in diverse environments and teams
- Self-Motivated, a self-starter
- Adaptable and flexible to live in rural African community and can manage in difficult situations, extreme weather (depending on season) and unique challenges of living
- Passion and desire to make a difference in the lives of others, culturally sensitive, open to Malawian ways and not imposing Western perspectives, standards, and ideals.
Established in 2006, H.E.L.P's mission is to develop the pathway for children living in rural regions of Africa to become integral members and leaders in society through quality education. H.E.L.P. is committed to cultivating the academic potential of each child through a comprehensive range of opportunities in primary school to prepare students for the next level of education and to support those efforts through secondary school scholarships.
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Those interested should take a look at our website at http://helpchildren.org/
For information on our International Volunteer Program detailing our different long and short term opportunities, please email Amy on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers are not required to pay any fee to H.E.L.P. Malawi, only to fund their own transportation and travel insurance (required).