Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center
65 Government St
The Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center volunteers, "Friends of the Exploreum" and Junior Volunteers, are responsible for assisting the Exploreum staff with visitor experience and exhibit interaction by aiding the educational, operational and administrative staff in delivering high-quality, energetic and informative interaction and activities to audiences of all ages.
- Reports to Community Engagement Coordinator and other coordinators, managers and administrators.
- Consistently assists educational, operational and administrative staff in delivering high-quality, energetic and informative interaction and activities to audiences of all ages.
- Not responsible for animal or chemical handling.
- Assists staff in keeping demonstration/lab areas clean.
- Uses proper safety equipment during all demonstrations, programming and areas.
- Not responsible for performing demonstrations.
- Not responsible for offsite events or outreaches and evening events unless specified by the Community Engagement Coordinator.
- Greets, engages and assists visitors, promotes Exploreum programs, events and memberships.
- Assists with special events, programs, workshops, festivals, camps and other Exploreum functions.
- To learn more about the STEM (Science, technology, engineering and mathematics.), health and early childhood fields.
- To learn about the non-profit sector and how it operates.
- To earn community service hours.
- To make a difference in the Gulf Coast Region and Greater Mobile Area Community.
- To earn a FREE Standard Family Membership after 50 hours of volunteering, which includes FREE general admission for 2 adults and 4 children or youth, discounts on IMAX tickets, summer camps, home school classes and merchandise, as well as 6 one-time experience passes.
- For Junior Volunteers, volunteers are required to be between the ages of 15 and 17 years old.
- For "Friends of the Exploreum", volunteers are required to be 18 or older.
- Must possess excellent public, interpersonal and small group communication skills.
- Able to collaborate with others as a team.
- Must have an open mind and the ability to learn quickly.
- Must have initiative or a "go-getter" personal work style.
- Experience in volunteering, guest service, education or the dramatic arts preferred.
Volunteers at the Exploreum play a vital role in providing a fun way to learn science for the Gulf Coast Region and Greater Mobile Area Community. As a local institution, the Exploreum thrives on its volunteers’ services - from daily operations to special events and exhibits.
The Exploreum’s Volunteer Program is divided into two separate programs: the "Friends of the Exploreum" program and the Junior Volunteers program. The first for volunteers 18 and older, the second for volunteers between 15 and 17. The Exploreum’s volunteers come from every background and walk of life.
For more information, please contact the Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center at (251) - 208 - 6893 or its Community Engagement Coordinator, Nixon Noblitt, by phone at (251) - 208 - 6857 or by email at email@example.com.
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please contact the Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center at (251) - 208 - 6893 or its Community Engagement Coordinator, Nixon Noblitt, by phone at (251) - 208 - 6857 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.