Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
2601 North Howard Street
Playworks at a glance: Playworks is the leading nonprofit in the country to leverage play as a tool to promote healthy behaviors and improve the learning environment in elementary schools. Founded in 1996 at two schools in California, Playworks has grown into a $35 million organization. We expect to reach one million children at 2,000 schools across the U.S. in the 2018-19 school year. In Maryland, we will serve 77 elementary schools and youth organizations, reaching approximately 38,500 students. The 2018-19 school year is the 14th year of Playworks programming in Maryland.
Purpose: Energetic, engaged board members who enjoy working and playing together are essential to Playworks Maryland’s success in using the power of play to bring out the best in
every kid. Because Playworks Maryland receives governance, overall policy direction, and
extensive program and outcome research from our national office in Oakland, CA, the
Maryland board focuses on growth strategy in our region, strategic planning, promoting Playworks in the community, and fundraising to expand services locally.
Term: 2 years, generally running from July 1 - June 30 (although terms may begin on alternative dates)
Reports to: Chairperson of the local board
Roles & Responsibilities:Each board member is expected to apply his/her knowledge, experience, network, and resources towards the advancement of Playworks’ mission by:
- Understanding Playworks’ mission, model, and impact and enthusiastically sharing them with others.
- Attending and actively participating in all board meetings, actively advancing at least one strategic objective, and following through on assignments.
- “Giving” a significantly personal annual financial contribution.
- “Getting” financial contributions for Playworks by proactively contributing names of prospective supporters, cultivating donors, connecting donor prospects to the Executive Director, requesting contributions, developing corporate sponsorships, organizing and/or hosting events, and completing other activities as requested.
- Helping promote Playworks through media contacts, networking, community events, personal and professional contacts, and using social media.
- Identifying and helping recruit new board and committee members.
- Participating in a New Board Member Orientation and an annual full day strategic planning session or retreat.
- Developing an understanding of the needs of our youth, their communities, and local educational institutions.
- Approving and monitoring the annual operating budget and fundraising plan.
- Developing and helping implement a growth strategy in our region that maximizes impact while ensuring financial sustainability.
How To Apply
Please contact Danielle Marshall at email@example.com for more information. No phone calls please.