A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Reports to: Executive Director
Time: 10 hours per week
Location: Flexible within the U.S.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is primarily responsible for coordinating the daily operations of ESW. The COO is the second-in-command of ESW and will work side by side with the Executive Director to set the vision and strategy for the organization.
About Engineers for a Sustainable World
Engineers for a Sustainable World is a nonprofit network made up of people passionate about technical sustainability. We consist of 1,500 student and professional members across 50 chapters at colleges and universities. We work to empower engineers to tackle the biggest sustainability challenges of the 21st century. ESW members have created everything from solar charging stations on college campuses to devices that collect waste in rivers to community-designed structures that promote earthquake resilience.
The COO will be responsible for:
- Coordinating the 20+ person digital, remote volunteer staff of ESW-HQ, including teams in fundraising, programs, communications, technology, events, and membership
- Supporting a strong team dynamic and an organization that the best volunteers want to remain in for years to come
- Providing detailed information to Executive Director regarding the performance capabilities of each department, which they have learned through regular conversations with team leaders
- Develop and implement new organizational operations to drive better team communication, morale, efficiency, and collaboration.
- Leading the annual recruitment efforts to staff ESW’s Leadership Team
- Attending, and sometimes leading, Executive Committee meetings every two weeks
- Passion for sustainability and technical problem solving
- Leadership experience
- Managing a team, digital teams preferred
- Your friends would describe you as a “people person”; you have high emotional intelligence
- Experience using digital tools such as Google Suite, Slack, and video conference (we use Zoom).