Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Part-time, volunteer position
Term: August 2017 – June 2018
This is an extraordinary opportunity to make a lasting, positive difference in the lives of youth. As a STEM volunteer, you will facilitate lessons in science, technology, engineering, and math. Responsibilities include planning activities that teach students about STEM and tutoring students in school work – especially math. In this program, kids learn that success in STEM (and life) is gained from hard work and persistence, not from innate ability. We expose students to the fascinating realm of science and technology and show them learning and creating is fun. This is a hands-on position where the most important qualification is an enthusiasm for teaching junior high and high school kids from underprivileged backgrounds. This is an unpaid position.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
· Commitment to the entire internship timeframe and ability to work each Thursday from 5-8 PM.
· Passion and enthusiasm for science and technology – especially in the areas of math and physics.
· Willingness to mentor students and encourage them while they complete challenging tasks.
· Ability to tutor junior high and high school level homework.
· Local candidates only
· Must be willing to complete a 4-hour training in Costa Mesa on a Saturday
· Candidates must be willing to undergo a background check
Dr. Katherine Pappano