OMSI Design Challenge Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1945 SE Water Ave
position summary: Volunteers help visitors to design, build, and test solutions to personal, local, and global challenges at the Design Bay in the Turbine Hall. Challenges rotate throughout the year and apply to a variety of age ranges.
essential duties and responsibilities:
- Encourage visitors to create, collaborate, innovate, and iterate at the hands-on design challenge(s).
- Ask open-ended questions, co-investigate, and use other facilitation techniques to help promote inquiry and guide visitors through the design and engineering processes.
- Assist in the development, iteration, set up, presentation, and resetting of daily activities.
- Maintain the integrity and appearance of activities.
· Maintain a safe, secure, and inviting environment for visitors and staff.
- Eager to facilitate visitor-led and visitor-centered experiences.
- Excited about teaching and learning through play and experimentation.
- Desire to communicate accurate science, engineering, and design content in an engaging way with people of diverse backgrounds and a broad age range.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Self-motivated with good problem-solving, judgment, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about tinkering, building, and making things.
- Comfortable with open-ended problem solving.
- Dependable and punctual; ability to adhere to a regular schedule preferred
- Commitment to safety and willing to uphold OMSI rules and procedures.
· Participation in an opportunity to provide input and feedback in the development of a new area of the museum.
· Training and a lifelong learning experience.
· Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
· An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
· Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
· The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.