Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Looking for hands-on experience in the environmental field? Save The Bay’s Nursery & Habitat Restoration Field Fellowship provides three months of valuable exposure to skills in native plant propagation and restoration ecology.
As the Nursery Fellow you will primarily work in our native plant nurseries, gaining experience in transition zone native species, propagation, and integrated pest management. You will also assist the Habitat Restoration Team at our restoration sites around the bay.
The Nursery & Habitat Restoration Field Fellow will help in the following activities:
- Support nursery manager in plant propagation tasks at STB’s 3 nurseries (Palo Alto, San Lorenzo, and Oakland), including seed sowing, transplanting, divisions, fertilization, and culling
- Assist in nursery maintenance projects, including, but not limited to, construction, irrigation, and organization
- Participate in seed collection activities
- Join staff-only workdays. Projects include: site maintenance, outplanting, native seed and division collection
- Assist nursery manager with our community-based volunteer programs at our native plant nurseries
- Interest in plant species native to the Bay Area and/or in nursery operations
- Interest in San Francisco Bay environmental issues and enthusiasm for Save The Bay’s mission and programs
- Minimum commitment of at least 24 hours a week for 12-16 weeks (September-November/December)
- Completion of at least two years of undergraduate education
- Detail-oriented, with strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to complete tasks independently and work well in a team
- Ability to lift 40lbs repeatedly and complete physically demanding work for specific field and nursery tasks
- Ability to work in the field in inclement weather conditions
- Flexibility in scheduling and commuting around the bay
- Training Provided
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to include the position title in the subject line.
Please review our website to find information on session dates and application periods for all of our Fellowship opportunities.