Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Homeless Garden Project Office
30 West Cliff Drive
The Homeless Garden Project (HGP), founded in 1990 and based in Santa Cruz, California, provides job training, transitional employment and support services to people experiencing homelessness. In complement, HGP operates a thriving community education and volunteer program serving more than 2,000 people each year. Our programs take place on our 3.5 acre Organic farm and related social enterprises.
Working directly under the Executive Director, event committee members or the Enterprise Manager, the Graphic Design volunteer will gain professional experience in production and development of collateral and promotional materials as they design compelling pieces that are consistent with HGP’s brand and and build a portfolio. This role will support a wide range of initiatives throughout the organization, so the applicant must be an upbeat self-starter, organized and enjoy a fast-paced work environment.
- Manage design projects; this may include all or part of the process from concept development to final approval
- Update event marketing and promotional materials (posters, flyers, ads, etc.)
- Create supplemental event marketing materials (postcards, gift bags, signs, etc.)
- Support design needs for various projects (brochures, applications, web assets, etc.)
- Design unique graphics for use in print, web and email
- Other design and production projects as needed
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented individual
- Proficient with Adobe CS products (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)*
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Dependability, flexibility and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Superb communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently and with others, including staff, volunteers, donors and vendors
- A demonstrated commitment to HGP’s mission and values
- Excellent ethical standards and personal integrity
- Previous internship or related experience in graphic design is a plus
- Understanding and usage of social media and the Internet
Position Will Gain:
- Professional experience managing projects and balancing multiple priorities
- Experience working within a brand framework
- Work within a high-functioning and inspiring workplace atmosphere
Learn and contribute in a local non-profit environment with a regional reach
How To Apply
Send your resume and a cover letter to Justin Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
People of color, transgender and gender-nonconforming people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, and people living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.