Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
5016 Connecticut Avenue
District of Columbia
Beyond Borders is a progressive DC-based nonprofit organization committed to promoting social justice in and for Haiti. Our Executive Director, who is based in Washington, DC, is in need of an Executive Assistant for administrative support. We also need help managing volunteers and interns. Find more information about our work to end child slavery, prevent violence against women and girls, and promote access to quality education on our website.
Due to funding constraints, this is currently a part-time, volunteer position that requires a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week. We do aim to secure funding for the position. Our office is located at 5016 Connecticut Avenue in Northwest D.C. We are accessible via public transportation but would prefer for our new Executive Assistant to live close by for convenience.
Previous experience in executive assistance or management is preferred. The ability to communicate effectively in Haitian Creole and/or French will be greatly valued.
○ Help the Executive Director manage his schedule and priorities,
○ Assist with scheduling meetings, calls, and interviews,
○ Book travel - flights, hotels, rental cars, etc.,
○ Monitor the Director’s email account and occasionally write or draft messages on his behalf or in his name,
○ Facilitate communication with the Director on behalf of other BB staff and board members,
○ Provide distance support for the Deputy Executive Director based in Canada.
○ Help recruit volunteers and interns who work at the DC office or remotely,
○ Manage volunteers who provide administrative, fundraising, and program support,
○ Ensure that the DC office is well maintained, stocked, and equipped with potential support from volunteers,
○ Answer the office phone and check voicemail,
○ Collect and distribute BB mail.
○ Monitor and manage organizational email accounts,
○ Hand address envelopes or recruit / train volunteers to do this,
○ Write thank-you notes and other correspondence with support of volunteers,
○ Assist the Executive Director in concert with the Director of Donor Engagement in nurturing ongoing
relationships with major donors,
○ Record gifts in e-Tapestry, Classy, CauseVox and various spreadsheets,
○ Staff the Beyond Borders’ Board of Directors, assisting with logistics and note-taking at board meetings, for
○ Other occasional administrative tasks, as assigned.
● Management experience, especially experience “managing up,”
● Appropriate candidates will be extremely organized and detail-oriented, with superior time management and
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools and Google applications,
● Committed to Beyond Borders’ mission and vision, which can be found here.
● Interest in issues of social justice, human rights and international development,
● An understanding and commitment to Haiti,
● Facility with Haitian Creole and/or French.