AmeriCorps Member at Wicomico Public Libraries
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by ShoreCorps - AmeriCorps
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1101 Camden Avenue
Wicomico Public Libraries provides a wide range of public library services to all residents of the county, specifically including educational and cultural enrichment programs for children, teens and seniors
AmeriCorps Member responsibilities with Wicomico Public Libraries are to:
- Develop & facilitate programs related to STEM learning support at library facilities throughout the county, targeting at risk children and teens during after school, weekend hours, and summer hours. May be asked to fill in to facilitate additional programs when needed.
- Act as a liaison for the library in community outreach events, such as festivals, fairs, programs. Help to bring awareness to the community of the different programs that are offered. Examples include 3rd Fridays, Early Literacy Fairs, and other community events that ask for library participation.
- Work closely with the Library Volunteer Coordinator to expand the current teen volunteer opportunities.
- The AmeriCorps member chosen must be available to serve on weekends, and some holidays as needed. They must be comfortable creating and running programs with limited additional help from staff members for children and teen programs. They must be comfortable dealing with the public, and able to present themselves in an appropriate manor when they are at events offsite of the library. They must have reliable transportation as they will be required to run programs at all 3 branch locations for the Wicomico Public Libraries (Downtown, Centre & Pittsville).
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- Have a strong interest in serving the community
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Able to provide copy of either high school diploma, GED, or college transcript
- Have reliable transportation
- Be available to attend the tuition-free, AmeriCorps class at Salisbury University bi-weekly during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Be available to serve for approximately 20 hours/week for half-time service for at least 48 weeks.
- Must successfully pass a comprehensive Criminal History Check, which includes FBI fingerprinting
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien
Benefits available to the AmeriCorps Member:
- Valuable experience
- Joining a fun team committed to help you learn and grow
- A bi-weekly stipend of $252.08
- Receipt of educational award to be used toward educational loans or future educational expenses upon completion of service year requirements in the amount of $2,960.50
- 6 tuition free credits at Salisbury University
- This position is offered through a partnership with ShoreCorps, the AmeriCorps program at Salisbury University. It is contingent upon federal funding and approval of the AmeriCorps office. For more information on AmeriCorps requirements, benefits and responsibilities, visit www.salisbury.edu/americorps
Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. An application can be downloaded from the ShoreCorps web site: www.salisbury.edu/americorps/Member-info.html
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please visit the website for a copy of the member application!