eLearning Course Developer / Instructional Designer -Japanese Food Education Program for High school students-
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by TABLE FOR TWO USA
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
TABLE FOR TWO USA(*), 501(c)(3) non-profit organization is looking for an e-Learning Course Developer/ Instructional Designer to develop an online food education program to teach Japanese food and foodways to high school students in the U.S. The developer will collaborate closely with a team of subject matter experts in Japanese food education. This includes writing and developing, with some editorial, multimedia, and design work as needed.
About Wa-Shouiku –Learn. Cook. Eat Japanese!-
The Wa-Shokuiku Project (https://www.wa-shokuiku.org) is a new initiative from TABLE FOR TWO USA. Wa-Shokuiku combines the Japanese words “Washoku” which refers to Japanese food and, “Shokuiku”, food education. It is a 7-part series of classes on Japanese food and food culture for American school students. We developed a hands-on program targeting elementary to middle school aged students successfully and now plan to develop its online version targeting high school students.
Our goal for the Wa-Shokuiku program is that students will be equipped with practical knowledge and skills regarding healthy eating, Japanese foodways, and best practices. The objectives are (1) to expand students’ palates by teaching how to prepare tasty and healthy dishes using washoku preparation techniques, (2) Include discussion about nutrition, manners, respect toward food and simple relevant Japanese words, and (3) introduce food related concerns, such as obesity and waste while discussing do-able daily actions inspired by shokuiku.
Please view the video of the hands-on programs to give you an idea of what the program covers.
- Designing and creating engaging, effective e-Learning courses. This includes creating text, videos, images, and interactive exercises. We tentatively use Ruzuku as e-learning course platform but can be flexible on what platform to be used.
- Produce instructional design documents such as storyboards, scripts, media lists and assessment tools in accordance with defined style guides such as Brand and existing hands-on class lesson plans.
- Maintain relevant project documentation
- Documents progress/status of assigned tasks for review by others
- Reports regularly to Project Director and informs other team members on assignments and progress
Required Technical/Functional Skills:
- Excellent skills and passionate about creating interactive learning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid understanding of learning theories and pedagogy
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently
- Experience creating e-learning programs for students preferred
- Bachelor degree in Education or Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, or related degree or 2+ years experience as an e-Learning Developer or Instructional Designer
- eLearning Course Developer / Instructional Designer: 2 years
About TABLE FOR TWO USA:
* TABLE FOR TWO USA (TFT) is a 501(C)(3) organization that that addresses the opposite issues of hunger and obesity through a unique “meal-sharing” program. TFT partners with corporations, restaurants, schools and other food establishments to serve healthy, low- calorie, TFT-branded meals. For each one of these healthy meals served, a small portion of the cost is donated to provide one school meal for a child in need. In this way, TFT has served healthy meals to both sides of the "table" and helped to right the global food imbalance. TFT started in Japan and now operates in 14 countries. As one of the most well-known NPOs in Japan which is noted for the longevity of its people, TFT promotes Japanese healthy eating culture as well to tackle the critical health issues. Learn more at: usa.tablefor2.org
- Stipend Provided