Volunteers: Lawrence Court Service Center
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Massachusetts Trial Court - Court Service Center
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is dynamic, self-starting and interested in learning about access to justice issues in the court system. You will be part of a new program called the Court Service Center that seeks to provide comprehensive legal assistance and access to resources for self-represented litigants (litigants without attorneys) at multi-department courthouses throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Court Service Centers have been established in Boston, Brockton, Greenfield, Lawrence, Springfield, and Worcester. This posting is for the Court Service Center in Lawrence, but we are actively recruiting volunteers for all the Court Service Center locations as well. This is a unique opportunity to be involved in the development of a program that will change the way that the court system interacts with self-represented litigants.
You will learn about:
- Common legal issues faced by self-represented litigants
- Major court departments and their jurisdictions
- Access to justice issues
- Social service resources
- Interviewing and triage skills
Duties may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Greeting litigants and explaining available services
- Referring litigants to other departments or offices
- Interviewing litigants about their needs
- Assisting litigants with legal paperwork
- Researching area resources
- Drafting court documents
- Developing plain-language self-help information for litigants
- Committed to working scheduled hours
- Reliable and attentive to detail, able to multi-task
- Able to both work independently and take direction
- Experience or interest in customer service
- Experience or interest in communicating with people of diverse backgrounds
- Able to remain calm under pressure
- Committed to learning and retaining information about legal processes, the court system, and available resources.
- Oral fluency in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Vietnamese, or other languages preferred but not required.
For more information about Court Service Centers, visit www.mass.gov/courts/court-service-centers. This is an unpaid position. All volunteers must complete a CORI check and be eligible to work in the United States.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter addressing the following questions to Jorge Colon at email@example.com:
- What interests you about working at a Court Service Center?
- What Court Service Center location are you applying for?
- What experience (paid, volunteer or extracurricular) have you had that might prepare you for this position?
- What is your availability? (e.g., Tuesday & Wednesday all day)