Community Health Advocates Helpline Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Community Health Advocates
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
633 3rd Avenue
Help New Yorkers understand their health insurance and access the health care they need.
The Community Service Society’s Community Health Advocates ("CHA") program, New York’s designated health insurance consumer assistance program, helps New Yorkers use and keep their health insurance and access affordable health care. Our volunteers assist New Yorkers whether on Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance, or uninsured. By staffing our toll-free statewide helpline, volunteers provide direct one-on-one assistance to individuals and families and make a difference in people’s lives. The CHA helpline is open from 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday. We are looking for volunteers who can work either one full day or two 4-hour shifts per week.
Our next volunteer intensive training session will begin in June 2018. Those interested are welcome to attend one of our volunteer open houses on March 21, April 18, or May 16, 2018. Please contact email@example.com to RSVP.
Volunteer Responsibilities include:
- Answering the Community Health Advocates helpline phone calls.
- Conducting intake to gather necessary information from Helpline callers.
- Providing information, advice, referrals, and informal advocacy services to Helpline callers about their health insurance benefits and health care rights.
- Working closely with CHA staff to inform Helpline callers about how their health insurance works and how to access affordable health care services.
- Database entry that includes detailed notes.
- Carefully follow client privacy protection guidelines.
Preferred Skills and Interests:
- Willing to learn a broad array of health law, health policy, and health advocacy.
- Interest in serving low-income populations.
- Strong customer service skills including both listening and speaking skills (Competency in languages other than English a plus).
- Proficient in data entry and Microsoft word.
- Clear writing skills.
- Comfortable working independently with supervision as needed.
- Strong research skills and comfortable with online research.
- Available for an intensive training program and ongoing mini-trainings.
- Able to commit to volunteering approximately 8 hours a week for 6 months.
How To Apply
Please send a resume and statement of interest to Adrie Lofters at firstname.lastname@example.org