After-school Program Assistant for SciGirls/SciKids
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Somali American Parent Association (SAPA)
A few hours per week
Minnesota International Middle Charter School
What is it?
The Somali American Parent Association (SAPA) is a Minneapolis-based 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to closing the achievement gap among Somali and East African students. SAPA provides trainings and resources for parents and schools to create common ground, allowing parents and teachers to communicate better and work together to better educate students. For students, SAPA offers tutoring services and an out-of-school-time program for academic improvement and enrichment.
What would I do?
Program assistants would work with students in an after school program such as SciGirls or Sci
Kids at Minnesota International Middle School. This is a program that SAPA participates in to allow better access to STEM topics in school with students that are majority East African. Activities would include engaging students in topics that are being explored, helping, and assisting the staff in conducting the lesson plan.
What are the qualifications?
- Associates or bachelor’s degree, earned or in progress
- Interest in STEM topics
- Experience teaching, tutoring, or mentoring youth; experience working with high school and/or immigrant youth preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent intercultural communication skills
- Ability to work well independently with minimal supervision
- Patience, flexibility, good humor
- Experience with East African community a plus
- Somali language skills a plus
What is the time commitment?
The after school program takes place once a week and lasts for one hour. We ask that you make a semester-long or year-long commitment to volunteer. SciGirls also takes place during the summer as well.
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers