Dayton AmeriCorps Ombudsman Specialist
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Ohio Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Do you want to become part of a team of passionate long-term care ombudsmen and serve older adults in your community? Join us for a year of service!
The AmeriCorps Ombudsman Specialist program will connect members with long-term care consumers throughout Ohio, ensuring consumers have access to the ombudsman to help answer their questions and resolve complaints about the care their receive. Members will be housed in one of 11 sites across the state, and will be part of a statewide team that meets regularly in Columbus. They will serve full time from October 2018-September 2019, completing at least 1700 hours of service. Members will also assist their site supervisors in volunteer management activities, working to engage the current volunteer corps to increased service and recruiting new volunteers. They will be provided considerable training, both initial and ongoing, to ensure they are well equipped to provide services to long-term care consumers and have a broad understanding of Ohio's aging services network.
- Engage with long-term care consumers to ensure they understand and have access to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, educate them about their rights, respond to questions, and help in resolving complaints during quarterly visits to long-term care facilities and as needed visits to other settings where consumers receive services.
- Investigate and work to verify and resolve complaints made by or on behalf of long-term care consumers.
- Counsel long-term care consumers on benefits, rights and regulations and provide education on the selection of long-term care providers.
- Work with resident and family councils in nursing and assisted living facilities to assist in promoting quality care.
- Assisting the Ombudsman Program Director and/or Volunteer Coordinator in increasing the engagement of Ombudsman Associate volunteers, including but not limited to:
- Recruiting, retention and recognition activities
- Leveraging current volunteers during National Days of Service events to more broadly serve the community
- Participate in Ombudsman Professional Development, a 100+ hour, multi day, certification training hosted by the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman primarily in Columbus, Ohio.
- Participate in ongoing training in service area, in Columbus, and other locations as required.
- Provide outreach to consumers about the long-term care ombudsman program through presentations to community groups and in written formats or online activity as needed by the Ombudsman Program Director.
- Be responsible for the timely and accurate entry of service activity in accordance with applicable Federal, State and local laws, and Ohio Department of Aging and local program policies and procedures.
- Engage in all activities under the direction of the Ombudsman Program Director.
- Comply with all AmeriCorps program guidelines by maintaining service hours, training hours, and service projects as outlined in the AmeriCorps Service Agreement.
- Interact in a positive, professional and cooperative manner with consumers, and staff; refer appropriate questions or concerns to the Ombudsman Program Director and/or AmeriCorps Program Director.
- Attend all required training courses and staff meetings and participate in AmeriCorps service projects.
- Bachelor's degree or commensurate experience
- At least 18 years of age
- Ability to pass criminal background check and drug screen
- Ability to travel to community and consumer locations within assigned service area including the following counties: Montgomery, Clark, Greene, Preble, Darke, Shelby, Logan, Miami, and Champaign
- Ability to travel outside of service area including but not limited to Columbus, Ohio
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a statewide team
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and data entry programs
- Ability to effectively communicate and build rapport with the elderly population, both in person, by phone and via email
- Experience and comfort with speaking in front of a group
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Perform duties with respectful communication and behavior
- Interested in joining the AmeriCorps Ombudsman team in Ohio? We'd love to hear from you! Please email us your resume at AmeriCorpsOmbudsman@age.ohio.gov
- Living Stipend up to $13,732
- Education Award up to $5,920
- Mileage and other travel reimbursement
- Paid health insurance
- Eligibility dependent access to childcare subsidy
- Substantial training and certification as a representative of the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- Opportunities to learn from and network with aging service experts
- Opportunities to connect with AmeriCorps members regionally and statewide
- Eligibility dependent loan forbearance while serving
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Interested in joining the AmeriCorps Ombudsman team? Email us your resume at AmeriCorpsOmbudsman@age.ohio.gov