The African Diaspora United for Development (ADUD) is a non-partisan, non-profit organization created to ultimately empower African diaspora communities worldwide, by engaging and partnering with individuals, businesses, agencies, and institutions in a collaborative effort to heavily contribute to the educational and social development of Africa and to build a stronger community. http://www.adud.org
ADUD is currently seeking a Board Trustee/Vice-President Strategy & Development to oversee our donor relations program and manage our fundraising initiatives. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing our non-profit’s fundraising campaigns, communicating with current and prospective donors, and building a stronger development team for our organization. This position also involves planning annual giving campaigns. The Board Trustee/VP Strategy & Development creates and oversees the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising which may include major gifts, corporate donations, grant solicitation, annual giving campaigns and in-kind resources.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
You enjoy working with a wide variety of people. You are both highly creative and well organized. You are willing to make decisions quickly – even with limited information. You are able to translate organizational objectives into clear narratives that move the audience. You are an experienced program manager who can take a project from concept all the way to delivery. You are comfortable managing vendor relationships. You understand managing a budget and are determined to meet budget requirements. Board Trustee/VP Strategy & Development perform some or all of the following duties:
Plan fund development activities
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and the CEO to create a fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Implement the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Monitor trends in the community or region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary
Organize fund development activities
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner
- Develop policies and procedures for the development department which reflect ethical fundraising practices
- Prepare and submit grant applications as outlined in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization's fundraising priorities
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
- Coordinate in-kind donations and make decisions regarding the issuing of receipts
Manage Development Committee budget
- Develop and gain approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the Development Committee
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary
Promote the organization
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization
- Develop a comprehensive Strategic plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization
- Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
- Education:University degree
- Knowledge of fundraising management
- Knowledge of federal, State and local legislation affecting charities fundraising
- Knowledge of special events planning and management
- Knowledge of the management of volunteer resources
- Knowledge of the US Ethical Fundraising and Financial Accountability practices
- A certificate in Fundraising Management is an asset
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset
- Knowledge, skills and abilities
The Board Trustee/VP Development should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve the finances of the organization and to create new opportunities
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- 3 to 5 years of fund raising experience
- Virtual office environment.
- Flexible schedule up to 25 hours a week may be needed.
Job Type: Volunteer
Salary: $0.00 /year