Special education and therapy program for children with disabilities in Costa Rica
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CADIP
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
San José Province
The project takes place in a public primary school that takes cares of children with disabilities in several areas: physical, visual, auditory or mental. The school is financed by the government, and the school year begins in mid-February and lasts until December. There about 200 children in the school, aged from 7 to 12 years old, as well as some teenagers who also study here. There are 25 teachers and administrative staff who work in the different areas of the school.
• Assisting the teachers in the classrooms
• Assisting in activities for the children
• Assisting the therapists
• Some paper work and maybe translations for the office
• Preparing material
• Assisting in music and sports lessons
• Supporting the children in self-development
The volunteers might need to learn to teach Braille, Abacus and orientation as well as mobility to the students.
Volunteer’s schedule is Monday to Friday from around 8:30 am to 3:30 pm.
- Intermediate Spanish level
- To love children and be ready to work with disabled children
- To be dynamic, have initiative and creativity
- Knowledge of first aid (not 100% necessary but recommended)
- Ability to deal with emergency situations
- Patience and tolerance
Arrival and orientation: All participants in the program have an orientation meeting in San José before travelling to the project. The orientation helps you get an insight into local culture and prepares you for a positive experience in Costa Rica.
Please arrive in San José 3 days earlier. On the third day, you will start on the project. Volunteer placements start on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday only.
Duration of the project: 1 week - 5 months. Please select the dates that work best for you and submit them with your application.
Learn more about the short-term (1-3 weeks) program: http://cadip.org/volunteer-in-costa-rica
Programs 1 to 5 months: http://cadip.org/volunteering-in-costa-rica
Volunteering Worldwide: http://cadip.org
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers