Join the Largest Anti-Poverty Project in WA!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by United Way of King County (WA State)
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
720 2nd Avenue
Volunteer with United Way's Free Tax Prep Campaign!
Looking to make an impact in your community? Our volunteers last tax season, brought back $30.5 million to low- and moderate income King County households, by ensuring clients receive the credits they're eligible for. United Way's Free Tax Prep Campaign is the largest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program in the state, and one of the largest in the country.
Volunteers don’t need any prior experience. We provide a free 1-2 day training, and volunteers help file taxes or connect people to other benefits.
Join our talented team of volunteers, receive training that boosts your skills, and help us reach our goal of helping 23,000 people in our community get closer to financial stability.
- Volunteer Intake and Benefits Specialist: Connect clients to other financial services and help get them organized for tax filing.
- Volunteer Tax Preparer: File clients’ tax returns and ensure they get the credits they're eligible for.
- Making an Impact – Each volunteer, on average, brings back $30,000 to the community. Through your service, you will make a tangible difference in your community and empower many struggling individuals and families.
- Resume Building – Volunteers receive free training and then practice these skills. Tax volunteers are trained on filing taxes and become IRS tax certified. Intake and benefits volunteers learn about customer service practices and public benefits.
- References – United Way gladly provides references for volunteers upon request based on performance.
- Networking – You’ll volunteer alongside a diverse group of community members and professionals. We’re recruiting for 1,300 people this year.
What it takes
- Absolutely no tax experience needed – We mean it! We will train and support you throughout your time with us.
- You'll pick one weekly three- or four-hour shift that fits your schedule and preferred location. We have 30 sites, with shifts during the day, nights, or weekends.
How to get involved
Learn more and sign up at www.uwkc.org/taxvolunteer.
How To Apply
Learn more and sign up at www.uwkc.org/taxvolunteer. Pick a location, volunteer shift, and training session that works for you!