Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The project supports a center for orphans and disabled children in Rabat which is part of the Moroccan League for the protection of children. They host orphan children from their birth until the age of 6. Some mothers bring them and leave them there because of their personal situations and the children stay there until the center finds the right host family for them. They also host some children that people found abandoned in the street and took them to the center. The center can host up to 200 children, although there are currently 123, among them 50 are handicapped. They suffer from different physical or mental disabilities including down syndrome, autism, etc. All children benefit from specialized social workers and doctors who work in the center to provide them with the right assistance.
The orphans in the center benefit from a social, medical and educational follow-up in Rabat public and private schools. Their education starts at the age of 3; before that there are nurses in the school who feed them and take care of their general needs.
The volunteers will be able to participate in all the activities of the center:
• Assisting the professionals in their daily tasks (shower the kids, take them for a walk, prepare meals, etc.). This would be a good way to learn about the job as the social worker will be there to answer all the questions and train the interested volunteers.
• Help with feeding the babies and carry out outdoor activities
• Learn about procedures of adoption and circumcision in order to be able to give extra help in the matter in case of need.
• Take initiative and propose activities/workshops (e.g. music, painting, etc.)
The volunteers will never perform any task alone, always under the supervision of a social worker.
Duration of the project: The volunteer placements are from 2 to 12 months.
Accommodation: The participants will stay in a host family.
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Apply online through Cadip's website: http://cadip.org