Volunteer Infection Control Nurse wanted in Laos
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Friends Without A Border
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Lao Friends Hospital for Children (LFHC) is a 30-bed acute pediatric hospital situated on the campus of Luang Prabang Provincial Hospital. LFHC is a teaching hospital offering emergency, inpatient, outpatient and surgical services to babies and children throughout Northern Lao. Limited on-site radiology, pathology and pharmacy together with a homecare program complement these clinical activities. A major goal of LFHC is to promote the clinical learning and professional development of the local staff such that key positions within the hospital are progressively filled by a well-trained and dedicated local workforce.
The volunteer Infection Control nurse would work with the Laotian trainee IPC nurse, with the main responsibilities being clinical supervision and teaching. Education on the principles and implementation of IPC standards are required, and there is scope for development of IPC policy within the hospital. The position would ideally require a minimum of 1 month commitment, longer commitments preferred and much appreciated.
This is a unique opportunity for those looking to gain international public health & clinical experience in a developing/lesser-developed country setting. Luang Prabang is a quiet and charming tourist-friendly town along the banks of the Mekong River. There are plenty of opportunities for weekend sightseeing trips in the surrounding area.
• Registered in home country; Infection Control experience essential.
• Teaching and supervising experience.
• Committed to providing compassionate care to patients and families.
• Ability to interact with people from various countries and backgrounds with tact, diplomacy and cultural sensitivity.
• Demonstrated leadership, integrity, and a confidence–inspiring attitude.
• Experience practicing medicine in a low or middle-income country would be a plus.
This is a volunteer position with a preferred 1 month minimum commitment up to 6+ months. The position is required to be filled throughout the year and as such applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- International Volunteers