A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Contribute to your community while using your professional expertise, and work with talented peers in a rewarding, non-profit environment! The Rare Genomics Institute (RG) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping rare disease patients find hope for a cure.
RG is seeking a remote volunteer legal consultant to provide expert advice and guidance on privacy law issues.
- Provide counsel on all aspects of domestic and international laws concerning privacy, data security, and cybersecurity.
- Review and negotiate information privacy and security agreements and provisions in RG contracts.
- Manage legal issues related to privacy, data, cybersecurity, and compliance and work in a team environment with other volunteer legal and business professionals in the organization
- Research and track global privacy and security legislation, evolving regulations, and enforcement and translate into practical advice.
- Ensure that the organizations’ data collection, storage and protection programs are consistent and comply with legal requirements.
- J.D. or LLM from an accredited US law school with a minimum of 3 years of relevant legal experience
- Active membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- Ability to contribute to the legal team on average a minimum of 5 hours per week
- Working knowledge of the state, federal, and global (e.g. GDPR) regulatory environment, including compliance requirements and processes
- Relevant technical certifications such as a Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), or Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) or other relevant certifications offered by the International Association of Privacy Professionals preferred
- Experience working with cloud based entities with no physical servers
- Experience working with entities in the medical field
- International Volunteers