Emergency Relief & Disaster Management
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Volunteers Initiative Nepal (Empowering Marginalised Communities)
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Nepal is particularly vulnerable to natural disasters of potentially catastrophic dimensions ranging from earthquakes, floods/landslides, fire, avalanches, storms, epidemics and droughts. When one of these disasters takes place, authorities cannot cope without aid from abroad and NGOs. This is your opportunity to make a difference and take action to prepare local communities for disaster management.
Nepal is a complex geography of flat lands, hillsides and mountains with a stunning natural beauty that belies its danger. Terai, the flatland, is susceptible to flood, while the hill areas will experience landslide. The mountains remain the prey that claim the crops in spring and hailstorms that claim them in summer and winter. Kathmandu is prone to earthquakes; the last significant one in 1934 took over 3000 lives and data suggests that one takes place approximately every 75 years.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
- Complete this online Application form;
- Attach your updated resume/curriculum vitae (CV) with two referee's contact details(refarances can be for your work/university/family);
- Await confirmation from VIN for acceptace;
- VIN will confirm payment and send pre depature pack online;
- Full payment for the volunteer placement should be paid during your induction.