ESL English Immersion Program Teacher in rural Tanzania
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Red Sweater Project
Mto wa Mbu
Mto wa Mbu
ESL English Immersion Program Teacher
Red Sweater Project collaborates with developing communities in the creation of affordable, accessible and advanced educational opportunities for children in rural Tanzania. The organization operates The Mungere School near the town of Mto wa Mbu in the northern Arusha Region.
Red Sweater Project is accepting applications for an ESL-trained English Teacher to lead the English Immersion Program (EIP), teaching beginner language skills to Pre-Form I students (equivalent 7th Grade level) at the Mungere School, engaging them to speak, read, write and understand English in a creative environment.
Mungere students live in a remote community, where English is rarely spoken and primary school is taught in the local language of Swahili. Yet, Tanzanian secondary school curriculum is in English medium and the language barrier can be a significant obstacle to learning. Teachers engage students to actively participate in English classes and extra-curricular activities designed to broaden skills.
September 15 - December 15, 2018
- Engage students through interactive pedagogy through creative curriculum development, innovative lesson planning and classroom activities that are stimulating, active, safe, respectful and project-based learning
- Assess and monitor student learning outcomes using a range of assessment tools: performance, norm referenced, criterion referenced, portfolio, survey, etc.
- Coordinate extra-curricular activities and athletics
- Assist with school administrative development and ongoing instructor development as requested
- College degree
- Minimum 3 years of classroom experience
- ESL/EAL/ELL certification (TEFL, CELTA or equivalent) preferred
- Commitment to interactive and an engaging classroom experience
- Experience traveling, working/living abroad
- Organization and attention to detail
- Flexibility to work individually and as part of a diverse team
- Professionalism and excellent communication skills
- Interest in East Africa’s indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to live in a developing community
- Humility. We require individuals joining our growing organization combine leadership skills with humor, patience and a humble approach to service
How We Pitch In:
- We pick you up at Kilimanjaro Airport and transport you to your new home
- We arrange and furnish housing (communal)
- We provide orientation, familiarizing you with life in Tanzania and office operations
- We do NOT charge volunteer program fees
- We provide a computer (but you are welcome and encouraged to bring your own)
- We provide assistance with travel planning and arrangements
- We welcome your input and value your suggestions
How You Pitch In:
- You use your passion and experience to the benefit of students
- You cover your living expenses (US$200-300/month average)
- You pay for airfare, visas (between US$200-800), and immunizations
- You pay for your health insurance and medical expenses (if any)
- You agree to follow our volunteer conduct and safety policy
Work, with a side of Adventure
As you experience life in a remote Maasai community and explore Tanzania’s scenery and wildlife, it is difficult not to fall in love with Tanzania and its people. Mungere Village is nestled in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, a short distance from Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti Plains and other unique destinations.
Travel further from the village to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar Island.
To learn more, visit www.redsweaterproject.org/volunteer
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers