OMSI Special Event Volunteer (21+)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1945 SE Water Ave
Special Event Volunteers provide customer service and general support for a variety of special events at OMSI. Most special events take place on evenings and weekends. Volunteers in this role commit to volunteering for at least two special events per month for a minimum of nine months. Because of the changing nature of OMSI’s special events, duties may vary considerably. Flexibility and enthusiasm are a must! Volunteers will be able to enjoy OMSI’s special events from an insider's perspective!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet visitors and welcome them to the museum during special events.
- Take tickets and assist visitors in understand the layout of the museum or event space.
- Give clear directions and provide information about different activities happening throughout the museum or during the event.
- Check out wheelchairs and strollers to visitors as needed.
- Facilitate activities and demonstrations for different age groups
- Assist event coordinators with clerical tasks associated with events as needed.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Skillful in facilitating use of exhibits and translating scientific information age-appropriately.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Currently seeking volunteers at least 18 years of age.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this opportunity.
- Time commitment: at least two 4-hour shifts per month for at least 9 months.
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry is one of the nation's top ten science museums and is a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource. OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
For more information or to apply, please visit our website at http://www.omsi.edu/volunteer