LifeWay Network is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that joins the global movement against human trafficking by providing safe housing for women who have been trafficked, and offering education about trafficking to the general public. LifeWay Network (LWN) envisions a world in which human trafficking is abolished and every survivor is strong, connected and free. LWN is one of only two organizations in the New York Metro area specifically providing safe housing for women survivors of human trafficking, and the only organization providing safe housing to survivors of both labor and sex trafficking who are either foreign-born or domestic. What sets LWN’s Safe Housing Program apart is its community living model. It offers a safe home by welcoming each woman into a supportive, caring community of permanent residents. This host community helps her recover from her trauma, regain her sense of self-worth, and enables her to move from isolation towards reclaiming her independence.
The Host Community member is an integral member of the community in the safe house to provide a safe haven for women survivors of human trafficking. LifeWay Network provides safe housing for women who have escaped or have been rescued from a trafficking situation and need to be provided a safe and nurturing living situation where they can heal while receiving the services needed to enhance their growth. The Host Community member provides a supportive and nurturing environment which supports growth and healing for the residents.
The members of the Host Community will play an important role in creating a healing community in the LifeWay Network Safe House and in collaborating with the House Manager, Social Worker and LifeWay administration in ensuring that there is appropriate oversight in the house and that the needs of the women are met. It is the goal of LifeWay that the team provides structure and oversight in the house, maintains effective communication with one another and the residents, and fosters a spirit of cooperation among all members of the household and staff.
The most important contribution to be made by the Host Community member is in the spiritual and accepting tone which is brought to the home as a result of her commitment to mission and to working with this vulnerable population. There will be however, more concrete tasks which the Host Community will be relied upon to perform.
The ideal candidate will be:
● A person of integrity who is committed to the mission and values of LWN, and has a passion for and knowledge of the field of human trafficking
● Culturally competent and experienced working with vulnerable populations
● An effective communicator with both writing and excellent public speaking skills
● Appreciative of and open to the spiritual foundation of LWN
● Heart, humor and a commitment to the LifeWay Network mission
● Commitment to long-term stay (2-3 years minimum), and commitment to stay in safe house on weekend days, evenings, and special events as required for the role
● Prior experience in trauma-informed setting required
● Prior experience in Mental Health or similar field preferred
● Comfortability in participating in art therapy or activities in a group setting
● Prior experience in community-living setting required
● Thorough understanding of confidentiality and privacy procedures as they relate to a residential facility
● Proficient in computer skills and email.
● Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and collaborate within a larger team
● Excellent verbal communication skills and listening skills
● Demonstrated success with community relationship building
● Must have active NYS driver's license and vehicle
● Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
● Bilingual English/French a plus
Benefits of being in this role:
● living in community, with room and board costs provided by LifeWay
● ability to work full time outside the safe housing program
● gaining experience in supporting survivors of human trafficking with complex trauma
LifeWay Network is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that joins the global movement against human trafficking by providing safe housing for women who have been trafficked, and offering education about trafficking to the general public…